Auburn falls to Mississippi State in men’s tennis

<p>The men's tennis team at Auburn is getting set to start their spring season this Sunday against the Citadel. (Photo contributed by Auburn Athletics)</p>

The men's tennis team at Auburn is getting set to start their spring season this Sunday against the Citadel. (Photo contributed by Auburn Athletics)

The Auburn men’s tennis team took the court Sunday, March 15, against Mississippi State, just two days after losing to Alabama 4-1.

The Bulldogs were too much for the Tigers as they were able to win 4-0.

The Bulldogs took the doubles point by getting wins at both first and second court doubles. On court one Mississippi State beat the Auburn pairing of junior Marko Krickovic and sophomore Oliver Plaskett by a score of 6-3.

Senior Lukas Ollert and junior Joseph Van Dooren lost on court two to the Bulldogs 6-3.

The Tigers started strongly in singles winning the first set in three of their matches, but Mississippi State killed the momentum by coming back and winning matches on courts one, three and four.

Ollert lost his match 7-6 (7-1), 6-4, despite leading 5-2 in the first set.

Sophomore Maxime Hinnisdaels lost on court three by a score of 6-1, 6-2, while on court four fellow sophomore Dante Saleh lost 7-5, 6-3.

After the match, coach Eric Shore said that the team is more than capable of winning, but the confidence levels aren’t where they need to be.

“It gets to be a confidence factor at some point,” Shore said, “and I think we’re just battling some demons right now. We’ve got to get it figured out, but the unfortunate thing is you know you have four out of your first five at home, now we have to go on the road. We’ve got to pull together as a team and come up with some answers because confidence wise, we’re just a little bit off right now. We’ve got some guys that are still too soft.”

This latest lost for the Tigers is the fourth in a row, and also their fourth SC loss of the season.

Auburn’s next scheduled match is against Ole Miss on March 20 in Oxford at 2 p.m. 

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to Mississippi State in men’s tennis” on social media.