Auburn gymnastics loses to Alabama despite another record performance

In its final conference game before the SEC Championship, Auburn gymnastics fell to Alabama 197.200-197.025 in Birmingham Sunday afternoon, March 8.

Auburn’s 197.025 is the program’s highest away total of all-time and the highest score against Alabama of all-time.

The Tigers’ Caitlin Atkinson won the all-around title with a 39.750, the highest score in program history and her seventh-straight title.

In 34 career meets, Atkinson has 15 all-around titles.

She led the Tigers on bars, vault and floor, and her scores on bars and vault were career-highs.

Auburn began on bars with a 49.325, and Atkinson’s score of 9.975 led the Tigers.

The Tigers then moved to vault, scoring a 49.300. Atkinson led the team with a 9.950.

On floor, Auburn scored a 49.375, again led by Atkinson with a 9.925.

Going into the final rotation, Auburn and Alabama were tied at 148.000 each, but a few miscues on beam kept the Tigers from victory.

On beam, Auburn scored a 49.025, and a fall from Lexus Demers and a shaky routine from Abby Milliet were key mistakes in the final event. Megan Walker led the team with a career-high 9.925.

Auburn falls to 5-5 overall and 3-5 in the SEC. The Tigers next meet is Friday, March 13, against North Carolina at 7 p.m. CT at Auburn Arena.

Share and discuss “Auburn gymnastics loses to Alabama despite another record performance” on social media.