Big Event reaches out to the community

The annual Big Event kicked off this morning with 2,050 volunteers rallied in the Student Center Ballroom before being sent to 200 work sites, according to Michael Waldrum, junior in business and director of the Big Event.

Behind the scenes, 165 team members worked to recruit volunteers and job sites among other tasks leading up to the event.

“Every year is unique in its own way,” Waldrum said. “We’re visiting all types of people, and everybody is kind of different every year. It’s such a cool experience to get to know someone who lives right around the corner from you or just in the neighborhood that you might not have known before and to hear their story and get to know them.”

LeighEllen Morrison, sophomore in elementary education and project coordinator for the Big Event, supervised three work sites: St. Michael’s Catholic Church and two residents’ homes. She rotated to each one, assisting the teams as necessary.

“We stay focused on our college, our classes, everything we’re doing here, but it’s so cool to take this day and focus on the other parts about Auburn that we love and the community around us that we’re taking over all the time,” Morrison said. “I just love that we get that opportunity.”

Shelby Means, freshman in pre-pharmacy was team captain over St. Michael’s Catholic Church. Her team of 10 cleaned inside the church and around the playground.

Means said she decided to participate during her first year after hearing positive comments about the Big Event. She said she was ready to get involved contribute as much as possible.

“I was so excited when I found out we had the church because there are so many churches in Auburn,” Means said. “I feel like that’s something that’s neglected a lot of times. They do so much for us, so I’m excited to do a lot for them.”

Share and discuss “Big Event reaches out to the community” on social media.