Glimpse into Auburn University of past and present

Most Auburn students can recall memories from their time at the University, such as rolling Toomer’s Corner, cheering “War Eagle” at football games and enjoying a sandwich at Momma G’s.

Although Auburn University has changed over the years, some things remain.

“When I first came to Auburn, it was such a beautiful place with all the dogwoods and azaleas,” said Dale Coleman, retired associate professor of reproductive physiology, who began his career in 1988. “I knew it must be a friendly place because all the squirrels were so friendly. If people treat squirrels so friendly, they must be treating people friendly.”

While the campus may be as beautiful and friendly as ever, it has changed tremendously in recent years.

When Coleman was first a professor, classes followed a quarter schedule rather than the University’s current semester schedule. The west side of campus, where the Village is currently situated, was green fields. The Student Center did not exist. There were few dining options on campus, and even fewer parking options.

“I think the first parking deck was by the library,” said Ed Williams, journalism professor at Auburn from 1983-2013. “I think there are four or five now. What stands out most to me, though, is the venues for eating. When I was there, we had Foy and there was a cafeteria. It would remind you of a high school lunchroom.”

Today, campus is filled with dining options, parking decks, new buildings and rules.

“When I first came to Auburn, the bookstore in Haley sold cigarettes,” Williams said. “Students couldn’t smoke in classrooms, but they did smoke in the hallways. There were even ashtrays mounted outside the classroom doors.”

Auburn’s campus, now smoke-free, is not the only reflection of the changing times and cultural norms. The University’s students also reflect the changing society.

“Students were surprisingly conservative here when I began teaching,” said Susan Brinson, media studies professor since 1990. “Students now are more open-minded. They are willing to think.”

In addition to students’ more liberal views, their general attitude about higher education seems to have changed over the years.

According to Coleman, many of today’s students attend college without knowing what they want to do as a career.

“Their parents kind of tell them, basically, that they have to go to college,” Coleman said. “Thirty years ago, a lot of parents hadn’t gone to college, so sending their children off to college as the first college person in their family was a big deal.”

Brinson said today’s students also seem to expect good grades, rather than work for them.

“They didn’t expect an ‘A’ or a ‘B,’” Brinson said. “They expected to have to work for their grades.”

Brinson said today’s students are unwilling to part with their technology, even during class, a sentiment shared by Coleman.

“When you’re trying to connect academically with students, they’re off socializing even in the middle of class on their phones,” Coleman said. “I think if you go back 20-30 years, there used to be a lot more face-to-face interaction. Students used to hang out. Some of those hangouts were the Strutting Duck, the Rodeo Club, but on a Thursday night after a club meeting the students, as a group, would go find someplace to hang out. Now, it seems like once classes are over, students just spread out and disperse because they’re still connected through social media.”

While students and campus have changed in the last 20 years, many of the changes have been positive. Brinson notes a more diverse student population as one example.

“I love it when I look out into a classroom and there are so many different students now,” Brinson said. “There’s so much more diversity. I think it’s really wonderful.”

Share and discuss “Glimpse into Auburn University of past and present ” on social media.