Mariners host Jane Wayne Day

A combat scenario in a faraway land, you are in an overwatch unit supporting a squad that is entering a building to take down a high-value target. You notice a child is sent out by the enemy to pick up a rifle from a corpse and bring it back. What do you do?

It’s a hard decision for anyone to make. Luckily for the Auburn University Mariners, this was only a hypothetical situation in a tactical decision course, one of three events during Jane Wayne Day on Saturday, March 14.

The Mariners are Auburn University’s Naval ROTC support group. Declared an official SGA organization by the University in 1977, the Mariners organize social and intermural events for the cadets to help boost morale. The Mariners are made up of female students from various backgrounds and majors who come together to support the Auburn’s NROTC.

Mariner President Kate Moseley, senior in rehabilitation disabilities, was raised a navy brat. She said being around the military — its structure and order — is comforting to her. She said she hopes to become involved with occupational therapy at a VA hospital to assist veterans.

“I love the military, and I love supporting it in every way,” Moseley said. “It doesn’t always make the right decisions, but when you’re fighting for a bigger cause, you have to look at the big picture. I think, overall, we’ve done some good. That’s what I choose to focus on, and that’s what I choose to support.”

Typically a Marine Corps event, Jane Wayne Day is held to give Marine spouses an understanding of what it’s like to be a Marine, according to Samantha Burdyl, junior in accountancy and public relations for the Mariners. But this Jane Wayne Day gave the Mariners and idea of what it’s like to be a part of Auburn’s NROTC.

The day began at 9:30 a.m. with the tactical decision course. After being given a dilemma, the Mariners were given one minute to contemplate the scenario while doing exercises such as pushups or planks. Then the Mariners reconvene, discuss what to do and make a decision.

The second event taught the Mariners how to steer Navy ships and understand helm controls. NROTC Midshipman 1st Class Clint Vance, senior in marine biology, helped teach the Mariners how to use the NROTC’s ship simulators. Vance broke the Mariners into two groups and tasked them to race from the ocean to port in San Diego, California.

“We let them flop around for a little bit before we showed them (how to completely control the ships),” Vance said.

The last event was a certified fitness test (CTF) on the front lawn of the Williams F. Nichols Center. The rain from the night before made for wet grass, mud and unsure footing. Nevertheless, each Mariner complete the CTF. Even though he is not a Mariner, Vance also decided to participate in the CTF event and run the course.

“It was a little shorter, but I was feeling it,” Vance said. “Everyone was pushing themselves. If I felt it, I know they were feeling it. So they were definitely up to snuff.”

Sung Mo, junior in biomedical sciences, was crowned — with a helmet — Miss Jane Wayne after the events. Miss Jane Wayne is picked for being an outstanding Mariner who performed well during Jane Wayne Day, according Moseley.

Share and discuss “Mariners host Jane Wayne Day ” on social media.