Burgreen comes up big, preserves 4-2 win over Georgia State

On a muggy April night, swarms of insects rampaged through Plainsman Park, causing commotion wherever they flew.

But at the end of the night, it was Jackson Burgreen who had everyone buzzing.

Burgreen might’ve not been a huge part of the lineup for most of the season after breaking his finger in a win over Xavier early in March, but Wednesday night, March 8, he made the biggest play of the game in Auburn’s 4-2 win over Georgia State.

With the Tigers leading 4-2 in the ninth and one Georgia State runner on, Caden Bailey made a dead-on connection with a Dalton Rentz pitch, launching it deep into left-center field. Just in front of the 385-foot marker; however, Burgreen leapt into the air and snagged a sure double — and possibly more.

Dalton Rentz was able to get through the rest of the inning without trouble, securing the Tigers’ 20th win of the season in preparation for a massive series this weekend in Baton Rouge against No. 3 LSU.

When Burgreen made the potential game-saving catch, the home squad couldn’t have been more proud.

“The team went crazy,” said coach Sunny Golloway. “He broke his finger earlier in the year on a bunt …and this is the first day where he’s really been 100 percent. We went with it, and doggone it if he doesn’t make a couple of great catches that maybe nobody else makes.”

Auburn (20-13) struck early in the first inning on a double from Ben Craft, but Georgia State battled back to take a 2-1 lead after scoring runs in the second and third innings.

The Tigers responded with a run in the next three consecutive innings, one on a fielder’s choice from Kyler Deese, one from a Daniel Robert single and another on a wild pitch that scored Cody Nulph.

After allowing the two runs to Georgia State, three Auburn pitchers combined for six shutout innings. Starter Robby Clements pitched three innings, allowing two earned runs on five hits. Jacob Milliman came on in the fourth and contributed four innings of his own, picking up the win in the process, after which Dalton Rentz claimed his first save of the season after hurling two nearly perfect frames.

With a good midweek win under their belts, the Auburn Tigers can set their sights on battling a hardened LSU squad.

“You always get excited to play a big team like that, especially in Baton Rouge,” said outfielder Anfernee Grier. “They’re going to be rowdy, so we’re looking forward to it, especially coming off a tough weekend. “

Cole Lipscomb, who is 4-0 on the year, is scheduled to get the start in the series opener Friday night, March 10.

Share and discuss “Burgreen comes up big, preserves 4-2 win over Georgia State” on social media.