Sam Butler | Sports Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

​Offense comes alive late, evens series vs. South Carolina

Despite falling behind early, Auburn’s bats woke up in the later innings, scoring two each in the seventh, eighth, and ninth innings to win 6-2, and to tie the series against South Carolina in Columbia, where the Tigers have now won for the first time since 2009. Starter Rocky McCord had yet another solid start, holding the Gamecocks to only one earned run on four hits in seven innings. The Tigers couldn’t get anything going early, as South Carolina elected to use their closer, Taylor Widener, to start the game, and he pitched five shutout innings.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Gillikin powers series win over Georgia

Don’t look now, but the Auburn Tigers are on a roll. After falling behind in the conference standings, the Tigers have now picked up consecutive SEC series wins against Ole Miss, and now rival Georgia. Auburn’s (28-16, 9-11) latest, a series-clinching 5-1 win on Friday night, was keyed by a strong pitching performance by Rocky McCord and a timely bases-clearing triple from Sam Gillikin. With the bases loaded and the score knotted at one in the fourth inning, Gillikin launched a rocket into the right field wall, and as he strolled into third, the crowd of 3,609 at Plainsman Park erupted. “That was a lot of weight off my shoulders,” Gillikin said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Jeremy Johnson shines on A-Day

After two seasons of sitting behind Nick Marshall, Jeremy Johnson has had plenty of time to hone his skills behind closed doors. Fans got a chance to see how capable Johnson is of leading the offense in the first half against Arkansas in 2014, when Marshall was suspended, but Johnson was still always going to be the backup. Now as the presumed starter, Johnson will have no trouble at all leading the team if his play during A-Day is any indication. Johnson attempted 22 passes—all in the first half—and connected on 14, for 252 yards and a pair of scores, leading Team Auburn to a 24-14 win.

Roc Thomas runs the ball against Ole Miss. (File photo)
Sports

Three’s a crowd: backs vie for position

Gone are Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant, two senior running backs with NFL aspirations. Fighting for their places are rising sophomore Roc Thomas, junior Peyton Barber and junior JUCO transfer Jovon Robinson. Although Barber has the most experience in Gus Malzahn’s offense, Robinson is viewed as the frontrunner for the spot leading up to A-Day.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Tigers ready for National Championships

On the day before the Auburn gymnastics team travels to Texas for the NCAA National Championships, the team had one final practice in the McWhorter Center on April 14, followed by a short conference with coach Jeff Graba, Caitlin Atkinson and Bri Guy. “There’s a lot of energy in the gym, a lot of excitement,” Atkinson said. After placing second in the NCAA Regional on April 4 in Auburn, the Tigers earned one of the 12 possible spots in the national championship, a feat the program hasn’t achieved since 2003. Despite reaching the national championship for only the third time in 22 years, the Tigers insist that the gravity of the situation won’t overwhelm them. “I think everyone expects us to just go in there and explode, to just collapse,” Guy said.

More articles »