Event raises money and awareness for domestic violence

While Auburn can be a happy home for most of the community, there are some citizens who cannot feel safe in their own homes. The Domestic Violence Intervention Center is a place for victims to come when they are in trouble.

Located in Opelika, the DVIC is the only shelter in the five county service area that they serve including Lee County, Chambers County, Tallapoosa County, Randolph County and Macon County, according to Lisa Stephens, executive director of DVIC.

To raise money and awareness for their cause, the DVIC is hosting the 14th annual Taste of East Alabama event April 16, from 6-9 p.m.

“The Domestic Violence Intervention Center is a place that reaches out to . . . anyone who is in an abusive relationship and needs some help,” said Deborah Owens, member of the board of directors at the DVIC. “Many times they end up coming into our shelter if they need shelter for safety, however we also provide services for people who have not yet left their home, but want some support.”

The DVIC offers client emergency aid, utility assistance to start a new home and shelter to house others.

At times, the need for shelter becomes so great that the DVIC has reached maximum capacity.

“In our emergency shelter, our maximum capacity is 14 individuals, and then we have three transitional housing units which can house three families,” Stephens said. “There are times when we are at maximum capacity and when that happens we will send them to one of our sister shelters throughout the state of Alabama.”

Stephens said she has had people approach her about opening another shelter, but it depends on funding. The DVIC receives funds from city, state and federal levels.

Taste of East Alabama will raise money for services for their clients.

“Many of them leave their homes with little more than the clothes on their back, so their needs are tremendous in order to be able to get to the point of being autonomous in their living situation and to navigate the legal system,” Owens said.

Taste of East Alabama will be located at the Grand National Marriot, located at 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trail.

Local vendors from throughout the community will provide their favorite dishes for guests to try. They will also have a DJ and a silent auction.

“It’s turned into a really good community event,” said Randy Causey, member of the board of directors for the DVIC. “Domestic violence is a cause that you’ve got to have a passion and a heart for.“

Stephens said that this event is not only to raise funds, but also to raise awareness in the community because there are still so many people that are not aware of their services.

The DVIC has a 24-hour crisis hotline number (334) 749-1515, and a number for those outside of the area which is (800) 650-6522.

Tickets for the event are $35 for adults and $15 for children 12 and under.

Share and discuss “Event raises money and awareness for domestic violence” on social media.