LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Delta Sigma Theta Political Forum

College Democrats and College Republicans: Entitled, Indifferent or Downright Disrespectful?

On Tuesday, March 17, the Kappa Upsilon Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta, a historically black public service organization, held a Political Awareness Forum, to which they invited College Democrats, College Republicans and Young Americans for Liberty. The event was intended to raise political awareness on Auburn’s campus, and discuss each group’s stances regarding education, healthcare, public assistance, affirmative action and the morality of the judicial system and police brutality.

Young Americans for Liberty brought three representatives to speak on behalf of libertarian ideologies. In addition, more than 15 members of the Auburn YAL chapter attended, in order to better their understanding of the positions each ideology takes and to support their respective representatives. Over the course of two semesters, YAL has actively held ten large scale events, including a “Flex Your Rights” campaign with 65 students attending and an “End the Drug War” campaign with 58, and it is actively preparing for a criminal justice reform campaign, “Incarceration Nation”, in mid-April. The organization focuses on natural rights, respect and responsibility, and has shown its integrity time and time again.

Unfortunately, College Democrats and College Republicans would be hard pressed to say the same.

At the forum, both organizations were nowhere to be found, dropping out at the last minute. There are no excuses to justify their absence, as they had known about the event 60 days prior, and had committed to participating. While this is not at all shocking, it reaffirms the impression of entitlement and indifference these particular student run organizations embody. When presented with opportunity and confronted by opposition, they showed their true character. It is evident they have no genuine interest in advocating their political values, just as their affiliated parties have no genuine interest in furthering the nation’s well-being. There is zero accountability within the American political system. It is horrific to think that one day, the so called leaders of Auburn’s College Democrats and College Republicans could be leading our country, no doubt into further desolation.

I challenge you all to think about the involvement of the College Democrats and College Republicans on our campus, as well as the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and Republican National Committee (RNC) on a national scale, and the unfulfilled promises each of these establishment parties and ideologies have made to you. If you are not angry, you are not paying attention.

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

Lydia White

Young Americans for Liberty at Auburn University Chapter President lzw0014@auburn.edu

(419) 799.9195

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Delta Sigma Theta Political Forum ” on social media.