OPINION: Gymnasts front and center under Graba

For as long as I can remember, the SEC has boasted elite gymnastics programs.

Teams such as Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU were annually in the top 10 and regularly advanced to the NCAA Championships.

But Auburn was never in that conversation. Not until the hiring of Jeff Graba in 2010.

Auburn was always an afterthought in the gymnastics world, but Graba claimed the Tigers would contend in the ultra-competitive SEC.

After winning his third SEC Coach of the Year award in four years, he has more than delivered on his promise.

The NCAA Championships from April 17-19 will mark only the fourth Nationals appearance for the Auburn program.

It will also mark the end of a historic season, a season that has placed Auburn in the elite conversation it has never been a part of before.

The accomplishments of 2015 are astounding.

Highest regional seed, highest overall score, highest Regional Qualifying Score and highest final ranking.

Auburn has scored a 197 or higher nine times in program history. Five of them were this season alone.

The Tigers were also able to beat Georgia for only the fourth time in 80 meetings.

More milestones can be set at Nationals, but this season’s team will not be remembered for what it accomplished, but for what it started.

Since his hiring, Graba has stubbornly repeated how long the rebuilding process in gymnastics takes.

It takes years of coaching, years of recruiting and years of work.

But once an elite program is created, it becomes much easier to maintain.

The 2015 team is laying the foundation for future Auburn teams under Graba, teams that will raise the bar even higher.

Auburn has all the recipes to continue its success for seasons to come.

It has a staff of coaches who are great teachers, and is led by one of the most elite head coaches in the country. Just his job done at Auburn is deserving of that praise.

It also has a staff of coaches who know who to recruit and how to recruit them, an important element in building elite depth.

It has attractive facilities, including a brand-new arena many programs simply cannot match.

Finally, it now has a fan support it can proudly boast, with the program recording its first sellout against Georgia this season.

This year’s team may not end up being Graba’s best at Auburn, but it may end up being the one that started a gymnastics powerhouse.

Andrew Monson is a sports writer for The Plainsman. He can be contacted at sports@ThePlainsman.com.

Share and discuss “OPINION: Gymnasts front and center under Graba” on social media.