Softball shutout at home by Tide

After a thirty-minute rain delay, a sold out crowd watched as the Crimson Tide defeated the Tigers on their home field, 6-0 in the first game of the rivalry series, Aril 17.

Although the Tigers were able to make bat-to-ball contact throughout the game, no runs came from Auburn as Bama took the victory with six, including three homeruns. Two of the Tide’s homeruns came from the same batter, Chaunsey Bell.

Defense showed some promise against the Tide starting out with two double plays from Emily Carosone at second and Jade Rhodes at first, but it wasn’t enough to hold the Tide from their nonstop productivity at bat.

Branndi Melero also made the highlights for two right-field dive catches for Bama outs.

Notable players with multiple base hits in the game were Morgan Estell and Kasey Cooper, but Haley Fagan was struck out by Bama’s Alexis Osorio three consecutive times in the box, leading Jade Rhodes with two that eliminated at least one of Auburn’s strongest hitters.

Head coach Clint Myers said that even with the loss, the team remains confident heading into the rest of the weekend’s games. “You can’t lose confidence after a loss,” Myers said. “We’ve only got seven losses as a team. We’ve been pretty damn good all season long. It’s about how we handle it tomorrow, that’s going to be the true test.”

If weather allows, the Tigers return Saturday afternoon, April 18 at 5 to face the Tide for the second game of the weekend series in another sold-out event at home.

Share and discuss “Softball shutout at home by Tide” on social media.