Auburn tennis Senior Day ends in a close loss

Auburn’s men’s tennis team hosted No. 25 LSU on Sunday, April 5, for the Tigers' final home match of the season. The Tigers played well, but it wasn’t enough as LSU won 4-3.

In doubles, the Tigers' victories on courts one and three were enough to secure a point against the LSU Tigers.

Auburn’s lone senior, Lukas Ollert, was the only Tigers' player to win both singles and doubles. Ollert and junior Marko Krickovic wom on court one against LSU’s Jordan Daigle and Boris Arias by a score of 6-4.

Despite losing 6-0 on court two, the sophomore Tigers Oliver Plaskett and Petar Tomic clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win on court three.

The Tigers won two out of six singles matches, but to win they needed three of the singles matches.

Ollert beat LSU’s court one player 6-2, 6-0, and was the first match to finish. LSU won three straight matches before sophomore Maxime Hinnisdaels tied the score at 3-3 with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win on court three.

The final match saw Auburn sophomore Dante Saleh falling to LSU’s Justin Butsch 6-7(5-7) 6-3, 6-4 and the LSU Tigers were able to capture the victory.

Despite the loss, the Tigers’ performance was strong and Ollert’s last match in Auburn ended with individual victories.

The Tigers' next match is scheduled for Friday, April 10, in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Tigers' match against the Vols is their second to last match before the SEC Championship tournament on April 15 in College Station, Texas.   

Share and discuss “Auburn tennis Senior Day ends in a close loss” on social media.