Gymnast Megan Walker nominated for NCAA Woman of the Year and Academic All-District

Auburn All-America gymnast Megan Walker was nominated for NCAA Woman of the Year honors and named to the Capital One College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) academic all-district four team. Walker has earned two degrees from Auburn in business and physical education.

The NCAA Woman of the Year honor highlights the academic achievements, athletic excellence, community service and leadership of graduating female college athletes from all three divisions.

Walker earned both National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches/Women (NAGC/W) regular season and postseason All-America honors this season as well as All-America second-team honors at the NCAA Championship for her 9.850 on beam, making it the first postseason NCAA All-America award for her.

Walker was also recognized for All-SEC honors at the SEC Championship, tying for third with a 9.9 on beam and scoring a 9.825 on both bars and floor. She was ranked 11th nationally on bars and won 10 event titles this season, with seven beam and three bars.

She helped Auburn gymnastics make its way to the NCAA Super Six for only the second time in program’s history and the first in 22 years. The team went on to finish the 2015 season with 52 broken or tied program records.

"I am incredibly thankful and humbled to be nominated for this award and for having the opportunity to represent Auburn to the best of my ability these past four years,” Walker said. “I am forever indebted to my professors, coaches, staff, faculty, teammates, and the athletic department for everything they did for me. They taught me invaluable lessons and have given me incredible experiences; I hope that I've been able to make a fraction of the difference in their lives as they have mine."

Eligible female student-athletes are nominated by their member school. Each conference office then reviews the nominations from its member schools and submits its conference nominee to the NCAA. The NCAA Woman of the Year selection committee selects the Top 30; 10 from each division and then three finalists from each division. The Committee on Women's Athletics selects the winner from the Top 9.

All 30 honorees will be recognized, and the 2015 Woman of the Year will be announced at an awards dinner in Indianapolis on October 18.

As a Capital One CoSIDA academic all-district honoree, Walker will be placed on the ballot for Academic All-America recognition, and the winner will be announced in June. 

Share and discuss “Gymnast Megan Walker nominated for NCAA Woman of the Year and Academic All-District” on social media.