Former Auburn Cheerleader's company produces merchandise with uplifting, positive message

Megan Dixon Smalley, former Auburn cheerleader and alumni, said she always wanted an online print shop, but had no idea what it would look like.

During Smalley's time as a cheerleader, she started taking pictures and learning about graphic design, along with her public relations major.

Smalley launched her company, Scarlet & Gold, on Sept. 1, 2013. 

However, four short months after the launch of this online print shop, Smalley was laid off from her job as a pharmaceutical sales representative. It was then that Scarlet & Gold went from being a hobby to a company.

Scarlet & Gold's quick rise to fame stems from Smalley's skill in public relations and marketing. 

Scarlet & Gold is constantly being promoted on Instagram by figures such as Duck Dynasty star Sadie Robertson and "Bachelor" stars such as Andi Dorfman, Whitney Bischoff, Desiree Hartsock and more.

Smalley said she has Auburn cheerleading to thank for her public relations skills. 

"I was a shy person when I started cheering, but as an Auburn cheerleader, you are basically a PR rep. for the University, always going around smiling and talking to people, and it really taught me all the skills I needed for what I am doing today with Scarlet & Gold," Smalley said. 

Smalley also said teamwork she learned as a cheerleader has helped her.

"Being a cheerleader at Auburn, you really learn to be part of a team," Smalley said. "Win together, lose together, you're a team. You are working for something that is much bigger than yourself."

Allison Dismukes, Scarlet & Gold wholesale representative, commended Smalley on the type of leader and boss she is.

"Megan takes us all under her wings, she encourages us when we do something good, but gives grace when we do something bad," Dismukes said. "I am so blessed to work for a company where faith and family are the number one thing."

Dismukes also said the company's Christian message is important to her.

"Scarlet & Gold is a company where we know that what we are doing matters for eternity," Dismukes said. "If we get one phone case or print to someone who isn't a believer, and it plants a little seed, then it is all worth it. For that I am grateful." 

Koral Dean, Auburn alumna and art director of Scarlet & Gold, also said the friendship and faith she shares at work are her favorite parts of working at Scarlet & Gold.

"I look at my designing as worship, because as I am designing, I am glorifying God," Dean said. "It is cool to think that a cute little phone case I've made can plant an eternal seed with someone."

Dean, Dismukes and Smalley said their mission statement, "create, give, inspire," was important.

"[We are] truly working for something bigger than [our]selves," Smalley said. 

Share and discuss “Former Auburn Cheerleader's company produces merchandise with uplifting, positive message” on social media.