Netflix original series in review

Want a bit of action in life? Looking for your romantic fix? Need a laugh? Netflix Inc. is an on-demand, subscription-based, internet streaming service provided to millions of subscribers worldwide.

While originally streaming movies of all genres from the typical action flick, the romantic comedy, the thriller, the documentary, the foreign film and others - the multibillion-dollar company has distributed its own programs such as "House of Cards", "Orange is the New Black", "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" and "Daredevil".

"House of Cards" is an hour-long episodic political drama starring Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood and Robin Wright as Claire Underwood. 

It is an adaptation of BBC’s 1990 British political thriller of the same title. Spacey’s character is the Democratic Majority Whip in the United States House of Representatives and is the highlight of the show. 

Throughout the show, Spacey portrays a power-hungry, manipulative, antihero alongside Wright’s character - the equally conniving wife who, like her husband, will stop at nothing to get what she wants. 

Set in Washington D.C., "House of Cards" is a show about the darker side of Washington politics and shows the Underwoods’ lie to, take from, and sell out their competitors in a battle for power. "House of Cards" has released three seasons on Netflix. 

It has been awarded two Golden Globes and seven Emmys for acting, writing, directing, sound mixing, and guest acting.

"Orange is the New Black" is a comedic drama set in the fictional Litchfield Penitentiary starring Taylor Schilling as Piper Chapman. 

The events of "Orange is the New Black" are based on events in Piper Kerman’s memoir “Orange is The New Black: My Year in a Women’s Prison.”

Piper Kerman is a memoirist whose experiences in prison were the inspiration for this Netflix original series. 

The show features darker, deadpan comedy mixed with light-hearted, witty moments as well as raunchy drama. 

Piper Chapman, the main character, is a bisexual American woman sentenced to 15 months in prison after being convicted for money laundering for her drug-dealing girlfriend.

According to Britne Holderby, an Auburn student, “She and her fiance were a really cute couple and then I saw that they were lying to each other. It made me upset so I stopped watching.”

“It was serious but funny,” Holderby said. “It was a different perspective. You never see [shows about] the women in prison.”

"Orange is the New Black" currently has two seasons available on Netflix and its third season will release June 12 for subscribers to view.

Tina Fey and Robert Carlock created "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" starring Ellie Kemper as Kimmy Schmidt - the main character. 

The series follows Schmidt who has been a victim of kidnapping for 15 years. 

The show begins as Schmidt is being rescued from captivity. The series is set in New York City and features lighthearted comedy and goofy moment-to-moment interactions among its characters.

Shelton McLemore, sophomore in pre-social science general education, said she watches Netflix at least once a day.

“It’s really funny," McLemore said. "She has no idea what the world is like now.” 

Stacey Henderson works at the Auburn Gameroom. 

“I would say if you’re looking for something very uplifting, [Kimmy Schmidt] is just always really positive," Henderson I really like the characters.”

"Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" has one season available on Netflix and each episode is approximately 30 minutes long.

"Marvel’s Daredevil" is created by Drew Goddard and is based on the Marvel comic book series of the same name by writer Stan Lee and artist Bill Everett. "Daredevil" has been in Marvel comic books since 1964. 

The show features dark, exciting and gritty action performances and tells the story of Matt Murdock (Daredevil being his alter ego), played by Charlie Cox.

Daredevil is a fictional character and American superhero who was blinded as a child but was given extraordinary senses.

The modern-day hero fights injustice in the fictitious Hell’s Kitchen, a towering cityscape much like New York City or Chicago. 

"Daredevil" has hour-long episodes and has completed its first seasons. More seasons will follow.

Share and discuss “Netflix original series in review ” on social media.