Defensive improvement was not enough to lift Auburn over Mississippi State

When Auburn starting quarterback Sean White threw an interception on Auburn’s opening drive and Mississippi State drove 79 yards on 10 plays on the ensuing possession to take a 7-0 lead, it looked like Auburn’s defense could be in for yet another long night.

After all, the defense had given up an average of 478 yards per game over the Tigers’ last nine games against Power 5 teams and hadn’t held an SEC opponent under 400 yards since LSU had 280 last season in Jordan-Hare.

In addition, Auburn was facing one of the nation’s most dynamic quarterbacks in Mississippi State’s Dak Prescott, who torched Auburn for 367 total yards and three touchdowns last October in Starkville.

The outlook looked even bleaker when, after two Auburn punts, the Bulldogs once again drove 79 yards, this time on 11 plays, to go up 14-0.

After Prescott orchestrated the second scoring drive, Auburn had surrendered 186 yards in just over 20 minutes of play.

However, Auburn was able to turn in an improved defensive performance from that point on, giving the offense multiple opportunities to win the game in the second half of the Tigers’ 17-9 loss to Mississippi State.

“I think we responded on a positive note,” senior defensive back Jonathan Jones said. “One of the keys throughout the week was our effort, and I felt like we had great effort going to the ball and making plays. … Overall we improved, especially coming out in the second half and making big stops.”

While LSU beat Auburn with a potent rushing attack last week, Mississippi State chose to attack Auburn through the air. Auburn started two true freshmen in the secondary, Carlton Davis at corner and Jeremiah Dinson at nickel, and Prescott took advantage early.

The senior quarterback completed 16 of his first 20 passes for 180 yards and the two scores, but Jones and the defense came out with a renewed purpose in the second half, holding Prescott to only 90 yards passing in the second half.

“We pretty much ran the same things [in the first half] as we did in the second half,” Jones said. “Made a few adjustments, but like I said at the end of the day it was our effort and making plays on defense and taking pride.”

Coach Gus Malzahn believed the defensive effort should have led to a victory for Auburn, who fell to 2-2 overall and 0-2 in the SEC with the loss.

“Our defense played good enough to win,” Malzahn said. “They fought. They did a good job against a very good quarterback, one of the better players in the entire country with a good offense. Our kids played their guts out.”

In the second half, Auburn’s defense forced a turnover and four punts but the offense was unable to capitalize.

“Our defense gave the offense the ball in the second half numerous times when we needed to respond and didn’t or couldn’t,” Malzahn said. “But there’s a lot of good things that we can build upon.”

Going forward, Auburn will look to maintain the defensive intensity that kept it in the game in the second half and get back in the win column after two consecutive losses, starting when San Jose State visits Jordan-Hare Stadium next Saturday at 3 p.m.

“We didn’t get the job done tonight,” senior defensive back Blake Countess said. “While we took a step forward, it wasn’t good enough. That’s what you’re judged off of is wins and losses. We didn’t get the job done tonight. We’re going to look at the film and see what we can correct and move forward.”

Share and discuss “Defensive improvement was not enough to lift Auburn over Mississippi State” on social media.