Physics graduate to release 'The Time Opener: 1692'

James L. Tracy Jr., 2010 graduate in physics, said he wondered what it would be like if major figures from the past such as Abraham Lincoln or George Washington came to the present.

This led him to write “The Time Opener: 1692,” a novel set in the Salem Witch Trials of 1692, which involves main characters, Aaron and Cyrus, who accidentally uncover a magical item while traveling to Salem, according to the book’s website, www.TheTimeOpener.com.

“I put them in the present, and then I build a story around that, and then I end up getting everybody back in the past and putting a couple people on trial, and there’s the story,” James said.

James has been attending Mississippi State University since 2012, working to obtain his Ph.D. in nuclear physics where he wants to research and teach.

He said he disliked writing in college, but when he graduated from Auburn, he wanted to write a novel.

James’s wife, Jordyn Tracy, graduated from Auburn in 2010 with a bachelor’s in building science. She said James had been researching for five years.

Jordyn said she met James in a physics society at Auburn.

“We met going to the society meetings,” Jordyn said. “Just a couple of nerds.”

Jordyn said she helped James with the way the female character reacted throughout the book.

“Mostly because men don’t understand how women can feel 14 different emotions at the same time,” Jordyn said. “So I had some input on how the one female character was affected by going back in time and experiencing all of the stuff that they put her through.”

James said it took him a year to write and one month to edit, a short time period for a novel.

He said Tate Publishing approached him, and said they would publish his book for free, so his editing process went quickly.

James also said he is writing a sequel, which is set in 1970 and tells the story of an African-American man who was convicted of a burgarly that caused a death and was put on death row. Then in 1972, the Supreme Court overturned the death penalty, and he receives a life sentence, according to James.

James said after a few years he earns parole and builds a life outside of prison, where he hears of the time opener device.

“He concocts a plan to go back in time and save the life of a person whose death he caused,” James said. “He’s going to try to right that wrong, but he’s got to confront theft, breaking and entering, kidnapping, all these other heinous decisions, and it becomes when do the ends justify the means.”

James said he thinks anyone who likes time travel has a fascination with history.

“We’re so aware of what we know about and the current environment in life ... and sometimes it’s really difficult to sit down and say, ‘Well, what did people think about 100 years ago, 200 years ago?’” James said.

James said there is a lot of insight one can get into in looking at what people were like. He also said he drew the illustration on the cover of his book.

“I think it’s definitely enriching to pursue at least one hobby with the same ... thoroughness, power, intrigue, joy, as you do with what you’re going to do to make money in your life,” James said.

Jim Hanson, professor and chair of the physics department, taught James and said James was an enthusiastic, hardworking student.

“It’s wonderful that he’s able to write a book,” Hanson said. “I haven’t read it yet, but I’m looking forward to doing so, and I hope his book sells well.”

The book will be released Tuesday, Sept. 15 and will be sold for $16.92. There will be a book signing at Hastings on Glenn Avenue on Saturday, Oct. 10.

“The Time Opener: 1692” can be purchased on Amazon. 

Share and discuss “Physics graduate to release 'The Time Opener: 1692'” on social media.