Pioneer Day sweetens Loachapoka

Citizens of Loachapoka, as well as those of neighboring cities, gathered at the Lee County Historical Society to celebrate the first official Pioneer Day.

Pioneer Day, which has formerly been known as Syrup Sopping Day for the past 43 years, was held on Saturday, Oct. 17, and was free to the public. 

The name change came after the Lee County Historical Society took over ownership of the event after the previous hosts had a dispute with the Loachapoka town council.

Venders set up tents, and food was served as the crowd got to experience a taste of the town's history.

Steven Black, descendant of a Confederate veteran, came with others as part of a historical organization. Black got to share his heritage with the event goers, some of which had come from farther away then he had expected.

"We've actually met some international folks coming through here," said Black.

Many venders said the event had lost some of its attention because of the confusion with the name change, but everyone agreed the crowd was still heavy and everyone was having a good time.

Angela Wilson, Loachapoka resident, said she was disappointed with the name change, because it took away from the tradition. However, she came back to the event this year to support her town.

"We just don't have as much syrup sopping going on this year," Black said.

Gina Atkins, stained glass vendor, said she was pleased with the amount of customers she has received. Atkins also noted the positive attitudes and politeness of customers. 

Aside from the venders, families could visit a petting zoo, pick cotton and go for a pony ride while supporting Loachapoka and its background. 

Share and discuss “Pioneer Day sweetens Loachapoka” on social media.