OPINION: Support all members of the Auburn Family

Picture this: it’s game day. You’re watching the game, you’re following updates on Twitter and keeping up with the latest photos on Instagram.

Then suddenly, some moron from the student newspaper posts an image of Auburn not doing so hot on a play.

Why the heck would they do that?

That definitely isn’t what you signed up for when you started following the paper, because all things Auburn should be Auburn-awesome, War Eagle cheers and orange and blue rainbows.

You are an Auburn fan and this is how the Auburn universe should be.

But are you an Auburn fan or are you only an Auburn football fan?

Although we are a student media group that is supported by the University, we are not here to act as its PR.

We are here to learn and become credible journalists who do their job and tell the truth. We are not here to entertain you.

We are here to inform you of the news.

Auburn fans should take pride in the fact that there are many groups and organizations on campus that help students reach their fullest potential in their study of interest by providing opportunities to practice and learn.

They should support those students, because they are just as much of a representation of the University as any athlete.

Now picture this: a photographer at the student newspaper is covering a sports event.

He is both excited and nervous to be doing something that he has always admired.

After the event has ended and his work has been put online, he sees only negative comments.

These comments aren’t negative because he did his job wrong.

They are negative because fans aren’t happy with what happened at the game and are especially unhappy that he accurately reported what happened.

Is this the “family” relationship that we boast?

By bullying another because we can’t take the hurt?

Yeah, Auburn football hasn’t been doing awesome so far this year.

This isn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last.

Be happy that we have had good seasons and that there is always the possibility that Auburn can still pick up its game.

In the meantime, remember that football isn’t the only facet at Auburn and to support all of your Auburn Family members. 

Share and discuss “OPINION: Support all members of the Auburn Family ” on social media.