The tallest buildings on the Plains

Citizens have concerns with the Downtown Master Plan, which suggests buildings as tall as 75-feet to be allowed in the downtown core.

Because the potential buildings could be up to six stories high, it is feared by many that they will block certain views, specifically Samford Hall.

It is also feared that these taller buildings will take away Auburn’s small-town impression that many have grown to love.

Despite the prospective taller structures, Auburn already has a few buildings which stand taller than most.

The tallest building in Auburn is in the middle of campus. Haley Center towers over all at 321 feet tall, according to the Foy Inofrmation Desk. The next tallest building, Samford Hall, is slightly shorter at 136 feet and 10 inches 

Lowder Hall follows, standing at 90 feet and 8 inches.

After Lowder comes Ramsey Hall, which is 85 feet and 2 inches.

The third and fourth tallest buildings in Auburn are the Draughon Library and the Auburn University Hotel and Dixon Conference Center, which are 78 and 77 feet.

Planning Director Forrest Cotten said none of these buildings currently interfere with any views.

Cotten said most complaints he has heard from citizens about the taller buildings have been about their aesthetics, not their height. According to Cotten, the appearance of a building is just as important as it’s height.

Cotton also said he does not think the new projects will disrupt the view of Samford Hall. He said a 75-foot building should not compete with the 136-foot building.

Logan Myrick, sophomore in building science, said he also did not think Samford’s view was at risk.

“If any buildings are blocked, you can just take a few steps and then you can see it again,” Myrick said.

Ward 5 councilwoman Lynda Tremaine said when she comes over the railroad tracks and sees the 68-foot Parker building, it looks out of scale with the rest of the two and three story buildings.

Tremaine said downtown Auburn is a small, compact area, and that while she encourages growth, six and seven story buildings would not fit with the rest of the structures already there.

Tremaine said every time she crosses the train tracks, even after many years, she still turns to look at Samford Hall, and does not want this view jeopardized.

“[Samford] signals that you’re home,” said Tremaine.

Share and discuss “The tallest buildings on the Plains” on social media.