Alumnus stars in TLC series 'Coach Charming'

Auburn alum has new reality television show, 'Coach Charming'

In his new show, “Coach Charming,” Bill Alverson proves it’s possible to be an attorney and a pageant coach at the same time.

His father-son law firm, Alverson & Alverson, is based in Andalusia, Alabama. Though Bill is an Auburn graduate, he attended law school at the University of Alabama. He was a staff attorney with Alabama Supreme Court Justice Oscar Adams, and then he moved to Andalusia in 1990.

Not only were people asking him for legal advice, but they were also asking for guidance on other topics, which helped begin his experience as a pageant coach.

“I had someone make a recommendation for me to work with a girl from the Junior Miss Program, and she won it, and it kind of just grew from there to where we are now,” Bill said.

Bill said his show started when The New York Times did a seven-page spread and video clip on him, and then “Nightline” did a short segment on him. He said he met with an agent and filmed and released a mini pilot, which was shot in January.

Bill said they started filming in May, completed the first season and the first two episodes aired on Wednesday, Nov. 4. He also said his show confronts many social issues, and the aspect of personal growth is important to him.

“I call it that our show has legs, it walks,” Bill said. “One of the underlying goals of the show is gender equality and empowerment for females and for women today to know their own voice and to know who they are.”

William Alverson, Bill’s son, said when he first found out his family was going to have a show, he was excited but anxious about being on reality television.

“However, I grew comfortable with the idea after meeting with the production team and hearing their ideas for the show,” William said. “They did a fantastic job of communicating with us and asking us for our input.”

Jessica King, director of alumni communications and marketing, said the Auburn Alumni Association is proud of its alumni.

“The fact that he’s a lawyer and also this pageant coach is so unique and so amazing to kind of watch and hear his story unfold through a television show,” King said. “And what a great outlet to help continue to promote that Auburn spirit.”

Stella Marthaler, freshman in undeclared sciences and math, said the show is interesting.

“It’s cool that he taught several girls that became Miss Alabama,” Marthaler said. “And he went to Auburn. War Eagle.”

“Coach Charming” airs every Wednesday at 9 p.m. on TLC.

Share and discuss “Alumnus stars in TLC series 'Coach Charming'” on social media.