Tigers secure one of best starts in program history

The 2015 Auburn soccer team has spent the year defying the odds. Beginning the program’s third rebuilding season, the Tigers started their journey hungry to advance into the postseason with four seniors, two captains and a hefty crop of 11 freshmen.

Now, Auburn sits at 14-4-0, the second best regular-season in program history.

It didn't take long for the Tigers to realize that what they had, both offensively and defensively, was going to take them places. Snagging their first two wins on the west coast against UC Irvine and Long Beach State in shut out form, Auburn quickly advanced to 2-0-0, something that hadn't been done since 2012.

The Tigers moved on to defeat UAB at home to advance to 3-0-0, another program record that hadn't been achieved since 2006. Unfortunately, the Tigers lost one of their seniors, Haley Gerken, to injury that day, reducing the senior class to three. They also lost freshman Abby Meadows to injury, a low blow to the team.

That wasn't the breaking point for Auburn. Before long, the Tigers were sitting at a 6-0-0 start, climbing to the No. 9 spot in national rankings.

Auburn now had to march into SEC play. Undefeated at home, Auburn took their momentum to Missouri to open SEC play, only to fall 2-1 in Columbia. Missouri ended a 500-plus minute shutout streak for Auburn. Even with the loss, the 6-1-0 record was still one of the best in program history, the last being in 2002.

The loss didn't phase the Tigers. "It doesn't bring us down, we learn from it and get better, and that was the goal," said head coach Karen Hoppa. That's what Auburn did.

Off the field, the Tigers strength and condition coach Megan Young was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. The team took it to heart and decided to make their motto of the season #MeguhStrong and put everything into representing their assistant coach on the field.

The Tigers didn't allow another loss for another five games. Making strides to keep a winning record, Auburn had a dramatic last-minute goal making win over No. 9 Florida, one of the top programs in the country. The Tigers even defeated Alabama in the Iron Bowl of soccer for the seniors to remain a perfect 4-0-0 against the Tide during their time on the plains.

The Missouri loss had dropped the Tigers in the rankings, but they quickly advanced to No. 8 and held a record of 11-1-0.

"This team just finds a way," said Hoppa.

Another tough road match against a South Carolina team on an 11-game win streak gave Auburn their second loss of the season. The final five matches of the season were up and down for the team. They nearly stayed undefeated at home before dropping their final match to Georgia, but then closed out the season with a huge win against Mississippi State to press on into the postseason.

"It's all a credit to the team and their character," said Hoppa. "It's been a great foundation, and we're excited to take everything we've learned and go into postseason."

The Tigers will have their chance at redemption against South Carolina in the second-round of the SEC Tournament Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. CST. Because this edition is printed before the game takes place, be sure to follow along on ThePlainsman.com

Share and discuss “Tigers secure one of best starts in program history” on social media.