Auburn beat Bama in Food Drive

Auburn University has won the 2015 Beat Bama Food Drive.

Auburn University collected 211,625 pounds of food for the Food Bank of East Alabama, beating the University of Alabama, which raised 116,370 pounds for the West Alabama Food Bank. 

Students, faculty and the community have donated funds and cans of food throughout this semester to reach this number.

Since 1994, Auburn students have raised funds and collected cans to benefit the Food Bank of East Alabama. The goal of the competition is about beating hunger in the state of Alabama, with the added bonus of beating the University of Alabama at the same time.

Sarah Perez, president of Beat Bama Food Drive, said her main goal for this year was not just to "raise as much as possible" but to raise awareness as well.

"Students, a lot of times, people don’t realize what a pressing issue this is in our community," Perez, senior in public relations, said. "Just a little bit down the road, there are people that are food insecure that are struggling and I think it’s our job as community members to try and give back to them."

Perez said her main goal was to help others in our community.

"As students, it’s great for us to [not only] help these other people but also to widen our minds [and] our thoughts, realizing that it’s not just about us," Perez said. "There are people that need our help and need us to be good citizens whether it’s at Auburn or when we move on."

Caroline Jager, vice president of alumni and administration for the Beat Bama Food Drive, said her goal this year was to beat the University of Alabama in the number of monetary donations.

"We’re really pushing those with online fundraising and everything else," Jager, junior in marketing, said. "We’re really going to get them this year."

Share and discuss “Auburn beat Bama in Food Drive” on social media.