Miss America to speak at Auburn on Nov. 16

Miss America 2016, Betty Cantrell, will speak to students about her platform "Healthy Children, Strong America" at Auburn University on Nov. 16. This event will also feature Miss Alabama, Meg McGuffin, fourth runner-up to Miss America 2016, and Miss Auburn University, Susanna Bagwell. McGuffin will open the event and speak about her platform, "Healthy is The New Skinny."

The event, which is presented by the University Program Council, will be held in the Student Center ballroom at 6:30 p.m.

Bagwell will introduce both speakers at the event. Following the event, there will be a meet and greet with Miss America.

Sarah Hudson, sophomore in political science, said after she saw Cantrell and McGuffin perform at Miss America, she decided to reach out to their agents to have them speak at Auburn.

After talking about her platform, Cantrell will perform her talent for the audience.

"She's an amazing, classically trained opera singer," Hudson said.

Cantrell will also speak to students about women and leadership on and off campus, Hudson said.

Hudson said she believes students should come to hear Cantrell and McGuffin speak because of their strong messages.

"Meg McGuffin's platform of loving yourself - that's so important," Hudson said. "[Cantrell has] worked with Children's Miracle Network, which is such a huge thing on Auburn's campus, especially with Auburn's Dance Marathon."

Admission is free and the doors open will open at 6:15 p.m.

Share and discuss “Miss America to speak at Auburn on Nov. 16” on social media.