Soccer shuts out Mississippi State to close regular season

The 19th-ranked Auburn soccer team found redemption after a tough loss to Georgia, ending its regular season with a 3-0 shutout win against the Mississippi State Bulldogs in Starkville on Thursday.

A goal in the 13th minute by midfielder Casie Ramsier gave Auburn the 1-0 lead. The Tigers kept their eye on the prize heading into the contest, knowing that it would be their "biggest soccer test of the year," according to coach Karen Hoppa.

Ramsier attacked again in the 37th minute to extend the lead to 2-0 before senior Logan Beal followed behind her with a 38th-minute goal, setting the Tigers up 3-0.

"We needed a bounce-back game like this tonight," Hoppa said. "I'm really proud of our team and how we responded."

The goal in the 37th minute marked Ramsier's fifth game in which she scored two or more goals and extended her goal count on the season to 12.

Faulkner set a record of her own, making her start against the Bulldogs the 86th of her career. She has started every game since her freshman year.

"The way we played today is how we want to be playing in the SEC Tournament," Faulkner said. "We want to be building momentum and we know whoever we play in the tournament, we can beat them. We think we're ready."

Auburn held the Bulldogs to 13 shots in the contest, with redshirt freshman Sarah Le Beau earning her 14th win of the year. Alyse Scott also got some time in, playing 21 minutes and notching four saves for Auburn.

The Tigers advance to 14-4-0 overall and 7-4-0 in SEC play. The 14 overall wins and seven conference wins are second-most in program history. Auburn is set for its appearance in next week's SEC Tournament for the 15th straight season, sitting at the number five seed. 

Auburn will travel to Orange Beach to face number four seed South Carolina in the SEC quarterfinals Wednesday, with first kick set at 7:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Soccer shuts out Mississippi State to close regular season” on social media.