A look at some weird laws of Alabama

Laws are established to keep order and govern behavior, but sometimes they can be outdated. 

Although most of the events that caused the creation of these laws are still unknown, the laws themselves could be considered somewhat comical today.

James Seroka, professor in political science, said Alabama doesn't always review old laws to determine if they are outdated.

"These odd laws are still around because no one has paid any attention to them," Seroka said. "If the police tried to enforce them it would be embarrassing. There are sunset legislations where each law is reviewed after a long period of time, and if the laws are seen as outdated they are flagged and abolished, but Alabama doesn't do that."

One possible law in the state of Alabama that is no longer enforced is that it is legal to drive down a one-way street the wrong way as long as you have a lantern attached to the front of your car. The reasons for this law are a complete guess, but it is a strange law.

“Frivolous laws like these just prove how outdated and far behind laws in Alabama are,” said Carson Smith, sophomore in political science. "I think we should get rid of these laws because they are irrelevant now and could potentially cause pointless law suits that could waste our courts time."

Incestuous marriages are also legal in the state of Alabama.

When dealing with incestuous marriages a lot of states make laws based on how incestuous the marriage actually is. Most states have outlawed marriage between siblings or first cousins, and some states have even outlawed marriage to step family members.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones said these laws are now only mentioned out of curiosity. 

"A lot of laws these laws did exist at one time, and the laws that became issues were eventually abolished," Jones said.

Jones said although the laws are still enforceable, they are not. 

"I'm sure these old laws sounded like a good idea in the past and I am sure there were good reasons for why they were made," Jones said. "As a result, even though they are still on the books are technically enforceable, they are not because they do not apply to present day circumstances." 

Share and discuss “A look at some weird laws of Alabama” on social media.