Keep Auburn Lovely Citizen's Forum discusses how to handle housing in an ever-growing Auburn

Auburn has become a center for sports, families, business and education over the years. Construction and expansion on The Plains has become common to residents.

On Jan. 18, Keep Auburn Lovely held a citizens forum meeting at The Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center at 7 p.m. to discuss the future of Auburn in terms of infrastructure and, more specifically, housing. 

Ray Huff, the moderator of the meeting, opened by welcoming all who attended and encouraged the guests to stay involved in conversation and to ask questions. Huff stressed the importance of communication between city members and leaders. There were approximately 150 present at the forum. 

Huff introduced the keynote speaker, Bill Wright, chairman of Tuscaloosa's Student Housing Task Force, to speak about personal experiences with battling issues that come with rapid growth in college towns such as Auburn and Tuscaloosa. 

According to Wright, the Student Housing Task Force of Tuscaloosa was formed by 19 members in 2013. Their first mission was to involve stakeholders, such as students, property owners and other community members to support their mission to preserve and be aware of their city's land. 

Fear rested in the construction of huge apartment complexes that would be left vacant when more advanced complexes were built. Complexes built specifically for students do not fit the needs of other residents or families living in the city. Once occupancy drops, the rooms are left vacant and costs are affected negatively, according to Wright. 

Many in the meeting felt housing farther from campus should not be considered unlivable, considering the available resources such as Tiger Transits. Many people at the meeting feared downtown Auburn will be compromised by expansion.

Stone Ray, freshman in architecture, spoke to the attendees from a student's point of view about why housing close to campus was vital. 

"We refer to Auburn as a village," Ray said. "In a village it should be a right to be able to walk to daily needs, instead of being forced to get a car and travel to a suburban supermarket. This should be made possible by those that preside here." 

Huff said he thought there was progress at the meeting. According to Huff, the most important piece to the puzzle is to ensure the city government is on the same page as the University leaders. 

"There has to be connection between the city and the college," Huff said. "That's just not happening at the moment." 

Multiple city leaders were present at the meeting to listen to those who spoke up about the state of the city. According to Huff, feedback from students and community members would drive those in command to make decisions that better the lives of those who reside in Auburn. 

Marlene Bowman, a local realtor, spoke on the importance of conserving Auburn's quaint atmosphere and the problems that could be caused if renovations were not handled well. 

"We read about how Auburn is the greatest place to live and retire, which is exactly why we are having this problem," Bowman said. "But our city is not going to be recognizable if we don't control it." 

Share and discuss “Keep Auburn Lovely Citizen's Forum discusses how to handle housing in an ever-growing Auburn” on social media.