'Last Call' as the War Eagle Supper Club closes

If you simply walked into the War Eagle Supper Club on New Years Eve 2015, you might not notice the sadness throughout the venue. 

Despite the smiles and shouts of "War Eagle" above the din of a festive atmosphere, a somber note hung in the air because, for many, this was the last time they would set foot in a 78-year-old Auburn tradition. 

The War Eagle Supper Club held its "Final Call" Dec. 31, 2015, with music from Telluride and Ziggy Luis. 

Rick Carter, guitarist and lead vocalist with Telluride, began playing at the Supper Club in 1978. He said it was "bittersweet" to be playing there one last time.

"I played this club longer than I played anywhere else," Carter said.

However, Carter said the night felt like a big reunion. 

"It's been 20 years since this band played in its full force," Carter said.

Carter said his favorite memory was playing in The Pit, the name for the main stage a the club, for the first time. It was also the first time The Pit was ever used.

For Andy Sokol, former Aubie who is currently a Birmingham-based veterinarian, the Supper Club was his home, especially once he was in vet school.

"I'd study until 11 o'clock on a Tuesday, and I'd come here and be able to hang out with the friends I had," Sokol said.

Despite being sad about the bar closing, Sokol said he was happy to be there.

"I am ecstatic," Sokol said. "I couldn't sleep last night."

Bobby "BR" Reid first visited the Supper Club in 1972 and started coming regularly starting in 1995.

"I would close it up a lot," Reid said. "I made many a trip on the drunk bus."

Reid said the Supper Club is one of a kind.

"There won't be another one," Reid said. "You won't have another War Eagle Supper Club because there was one and only one."

"Wildman" Steve Bronson was a regular at the Supper Club, both as a patron and performer. He said he was "stunned" to be attending the bar's last night.

"I'm walking around realizing, in the hardcore reality of things, that I won't be able to come back here anymore," Bronson said. 

Many people, including Bronson, said John Brandt, co-owner of the Supper Club, is a special part of the bar. Telluride also honored him and co-owner Mark Cadenhead onstage by presenting them a signed Auburn football helmet.

Brandt said the reality of the bar closing still hasn't set in.

"It's probably going to hit me more next week, when I'm not up here," Brandt said.

However, he was moved by the amount of people reaching out.

"I had a phone call today from Taylor Hicks, who won "American Idol" in 2005, and he said, 'I want to thank you for having that place and keeping it going; I wouldn't be where I am today without earning my chops at the Supper Club,'" Brandt said.

Suphia Safavi was a bartender at the Supper Club for two years. She said she made lifelong connections along the way.

"I want to cry my eyes out," Safavi said. "It's like ripping my soul out."

She said her co-workers have become her family, and she will miss hanging out with them after a night's work.

"You're never going to find a stronger-knit family than the Supper Club family," Safavi said.

Telluride was a special band to Sokol, and served as the backdrop to many good nights.

"Making new memories ends now," Sokol said. "But you think back to all the memories and the friends that you made by being here. This was the place to be. This was the place to end up."

Share and discuss “'Last Call' as the War Eagle Supper Club closes” on social media.