Storybook Farm: A child's real-life fairytale

People can find their niche in music, sports or writing. But for children living with physical, emotional and mental disabilities; this search for a hobby and passion can be a challenge. 

Dena Little, owner and founder of Storybook Farm, wanted to give children with special needs the opportunity and resources to find a different kind of hobby. Storybook Farm opened in 2002 on a smaller farm in Auburn and then moved to its current location in 2004, according to Little.

Storybook Farm is a nonprofit faith-based ministry that provides therapeutic horse riding to children facing life challenges, according to Andrew Skinner, one of the workers at the farm. Its tagline, "Hope on Horseback," hits home for those who learn and ride at Storybook. 

Little graduated with an English degree, which explains the names of her animals. Boo Radley, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are just a few of the character names found on the farm. 

Alex Jay, senior in special education, has been riding horses since she was 5 years old and volunteering at Storybook for four years. Jay said Storybook combines her two passions: children living with special needs and horses. 

"Storybook Farm is so important to these children," Jay said. "They truly believe it is their horse and that being here weekly to ride is their responsibility."  

Unlike similar therapeutic horse riding facilities, Storybook Farm is free to all children who come to ride. 

Starting at age 2, children can begin to ride without cost to their families. The physical and mental benefits that come from riding at Storybook are priceless, according to Jay. 

Jay said the children aren't aware their balance and speech are improving after every session, because it's just fun to them.

Certain things the children need, such as balance and core strength; come naturally while riding horses, Jay said.

"Riding horses can help with physical disabilities that would otherwise be dealt with through stretching and pulling the body in physical therapy," Jay said. 

Ellen Rankins, senior in animal science, said Storybook holds a huge emotional impact on the children who ride and the volunteers. 

"You can see the joy in each child's face and tell that their day is getting brighter," Rankins said. 

Rankins started as a rider at Storybook Farm and has stuck with the ministry since then. Originally volunteering with a Girl Scout group, Rankins said she fell in love with the farm, the children and the volunteers. About 14-year-old Rankins began teaching and walking alongside the children while they rode.

Rankins said she has learned so much from volunteering at Storybook.

"We have bad days, but Storybook has taught me to count my blessings," Rankins said. "I'm not in a wheelchair or paralyzed from the waist down." 

Today, Rankin conducts riding lessons, and loves interacting with the riders, as well as the volunteers. 

Little praised the community's involvement on the farm and how volunteers make Storybook's mission possible. The farm never stays the same, because each volunteer leaves their own "stamp" on the farm, Little said.

"Storybook Farm morphs and transforms weekly based on the skills and personalities of those that volunteer," Little said.

All of the expansions are funded by local contributors. Little said she hopes to expand the farm from 26-51 acres in the near future. They will be building an educational pavilion soon to accommodate the large crowds. The pavilion will be used for crafts and gatherings, such as birthday parties for the riders and its annual derby. Another addition is a gardening area supported by Committee of 19, an Auburn University organization that fights hunger.  

Skinner welcomes people of all personalities and talents to visit and volunteer at Storybook Farm. 

"You don't have to have experience to volunteer at Storybook Farm," Skinner said. "You just need a desire to help out and give back." 

Share and discuss “Storybook Farm: A child's real-life fairytale ” on social media.