Higher Education Day set for Thursday

The annual trek of college students to Montgomery for Higher Education Day is happening Thursday, Feb. 25.

SGA is organizing students from Auburn to be part of the rally with students from the other 13 public institutions in front of the Alabama Statehouse to remind lawmakers of the importance higher education.

Michael Bullington, assistant vice president of External Affairs, said he expects the turn out from Auburn students to be higher than last year.

“There really is no other economic engine like a four-year institution,” Bullington said.

Students must sign up to attend on the SGA website by Wednesday, Feb. 24, and they will receive an excuse for class from SGA, although the excuse isn’t an official University excuse, according to Bullington.

The Higher Education Partnership organizes Higher Education Day on the state level.

“The day will feature a bold communication program designed to encourage the policymakers in Montgomery to appreciate the value of the university contributions to the state,” said Gordon Stone, executive director of the Higher Education Partnership.

A bus will leave for Montgomery at 9 a.m. from the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art. The Higher Education Partnership will provide lunch from Price’s BBQ House. Students will arrive back in Auburn shortly after 2 p.m., according to Bullington.

“At the end of day, the voices of the university community will be heard and the message will be clear,” Stone said in the press release.

Sign up to attend Higher Education Day here.

Share and discuss “Higher Education Day set for Thursday” on social media.