Best-selling author to come to Auburn

Tim Dorsey gradated from Auburn in 1983 with a degree in transportation. Fast-forward to today, when Dorsey is a New York Times best-selling author, having written 19 books.

Dorsey said he knew he wanted to be a writer his sophomore year of high school. After approaching his teacher to voice his lack of interest in the class material, the teacher introduced him to more books and authors that he soon fell in love with.

Dorsey came to Auburn in 1979, where he said he started off as an engineering major in Navy ROTC. Once he finished two years, he wanted to change his major to journalism. Since he would not be able to graduate in four years if he did so, he switched to transportation to graduate in time.

During his time at Auburn, he worked as the editor-in-chief of The Plainsman. 

“Working for The Plainsman was essential,” Dorsey said. “I started learning to write at short lengths and built up my ability to write longer.”

After graduating, Dorsey worked for three years for the Alabama Journal, an evening newspaper. He was then hired by The Tampa Tribune.

While working at The Tampa Tribune, he said he began to write his first novel, “Florida Roadkill.”He kept the novel a secret until two weeks before it went on sale and then turned in his two weeks notice.

Since then, Dorsey has written many other books, and has been on The New York Times best-seller list several times.

Dorsey said there is even a television series currently in the works based on “Florida Roadkill.”

This, to me, is winning the lottery,” Dorsey said. “It’s like playing an instrument you love.”

Dorsey said he has found inspiration through several authors such as Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry, Joseph Heller and Kurt Vonnegut.

Dorsey will be returning to Auburn to hold a book signing in the Auburn University Bookstore as part of the tour for his new book, “Coconut Cowboy.” 

The signing will take place Wednesday, Feb. 24, at 1 p.m.

Share and discuss “Best-selling author to come to Auburn” on social media.