Man detained after leading police on campus chase

A man led Auburn Police Division officers on a chase down the Haley Center concourse Wednesday, March 30. 

Officers detained the man in front of the 1100 quadrant of the Haley Center at approximately 11:30 a.m. 

According to Assistant Police Chief Will Mathews, officers were investigating someone who was doing skateboarding tricks and resisted arrest, leading to the chase.

"He has since been taken into custody and evaluated by medical personnel," Mathews said.

Mathews said a medical evaluation is standard whenever someone resists arrest. He also said a Taser was used in the incident.

Mathews said the man was arrested, but doesn't know the exact charges or why he ran from police.

Annie Fitzgerald, sophomore in apparel merchandising and golf cart driver, saw the police chase the man, who said his name was Eddie, down the concourse.

"I see the guy running, and then I see one of the cops in the yellow try to Tase him and then he misses, and then the other cop keeps chasing after him," Fitzgerald said. 

She said she was scared when she saw the chase.

"At first I thought he maybe had a gun," Fitzgerald said.

Sydney Dowling, freshman in undeclared science and mathematics, was knocked over when the chase began near the library. She hurt her ankle and was checked out by paramedics.

"They asked him to stop skateboarding, and he kind of got, not violent, but he got really loud and in their face and every time they got close to him, he backed away," Dowling said. 

Dowling said when the officers attempted to detain him, he started "freaking out."

Share and discuss “Man detained after leading police on campus chase” on social media.