Lexi Davis breaks school record in No. 2 Softball's rout of Troy

Just one day after Auburn softball made history by earning its highest ranking of all time, pitcher Lexi Davis made some history of her own. The senior led the No. 2 Tigers (34-4, 9-3 SEC) to an 8-1 victory over Troy on Wednesday night to earn the 61st win of her career, the most in Auburn history. Davis improved to 5-0 this season.

Davis broke the record in impressive fashion, allowing just three hits while striking out seven Trojans in a complete game.

Thanks to the Tigers' high-powered offense, Davis never faced much pressure from Troy (23-12). Auburn earned all eight of its runs in the first two innings, scoring four in each.

The scoring began with a two-RBI single by Jade Rhodes, which was followed by a two-run home run by Madi Gipson. 

In the second inning, Whitney Jordan reached base on a walk and scored on a wild pitch to make it 5-0. Later in the inning, Emily Carosone hit a 2-RBI single before scoring on Rhodes' second double of the game. 

After jumping out to the quick 8-0 lead, Auburn nearly posted its 17th run-rule victory of the season, as the margin remained at eight going into the fifth inning, when the run-rule goes into effect. Troy's Heather Johnston briefly gave the Trojans some hope, however, with a solo shot to cut Auburn's lead to 8-1.

The Trojans couldn't get any closer, however, as Davis solidified her place in Auburn history.

Share and discuss “Lexi Davis breaks school record in No. 2 Softball's rout of Troy” on social media.