Auburn radio station named radio station of the year

Local Auburn radio station named 2016 Alabama radio station of the year

The Auburn radio station NewsTalk WANI, which broadcasts on 98.7 FM and 1400 AM, was named radio station of the year for 2015 by the Alabama Broadcasters Association.

The award was presented at the annual ABBY Awards banquet in Birmingham on March 19.

NewsTalk WANI also won radio station of the year in 2009.

WANI is only the second station to win the award more than once in the 10 years it has been awarded by the Alabama Broadcasters Association.

The station, owned by Auburn Network Inc., was represented at the awards ceremony by owner and President Mike Hubbard and General Sales Manager John Bodiford.

Hubbard — who founded Auburn Network, NewsTalk WANI’s parent company — also serves as the speaker of the Alabama House of Representatives. 

In October 2014, the Auburn Republican was indicted on 23 felony ethics charges.

The charges allege that he used his government office to solicit money, services and contracts for his businesses, including Auburn Network.

Hubbard’s trial is set to begin in May.

WANI Station Manager Andy Burcham said he was excited about NewsTalk WANI winning the top award especially since the award was not based off market size. 

Burcham said WANI serves the community through the public affairs programming and the many guests who are brought on “Auburn-Opelika This Morning”.  

Some of the guests on the show include Auburn Mayor Bill Ham, Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller and county executives.

Burcham said he believes focusing on local issues sets WANI apart from other radio stations.

“We have all three of the county school superintendents on our radio station on a monthly basis,” Burcham said. “[Because of this] we really concentrate on the local angle and community service with our radio station. That’s very important to us, and I think it’s reflected in the  station of the year award.” 

WANI also won numerous awards for small-market radio stations.

“Auburn-Opelika This Morning”, hosted by Burcham, won Best Morning Talk Show for the eighth time in 10 years.

Other awards include Best Sportscaster, Best Newscast and Best Sports Talk Show.

The sports show, “The Drive”, airs on ESPN 106.7 and is hosted by Bill Cameron, Zac Blackerby and Rich Perkins.

Sharon Tinsley, president of the Alabama Broadcasters Association, said WANI does a great job of providing information to people in the community, which demonstrates its commitment to being an important resource in the area.

“The fact that they do such a great job of providing local news, weather information and entertainment to their community was at the top of the list of the reasons they were chosen station of the year by a panel of judges,” Tinsley said.

Tinsley said WANI goes out of its wayay to make sure that important issues in the area have a forum to be heard to create transparency.

“They work really hard to provide a resource to the people of the area that they can count on every day,” Tinsley said.

Share and discuss “Auburn radio station named radio station of the year ” on social media.