The Mosaic Theatre Company performs spring showcase

The Mosaic Theatre Company members performed pieces they had written themselves based on their own experiences for the first time at their spring showcase on Monday at Telfair B. Peet Theatre.

Because the group puts emphasis on diversity, many of the pieces, which were in spoken poetry form, centered on issues such as race, body image and gender roles.

Despite doing different performances throughout the year, this was the group's first time presenting these personal pieces to an audience.

Company member Bodio Popoola, senior in industrial and systems engineering, said performing such personal pieces was a challenge, but was worth it.

“It’s difficult, but it is also empowering to hear someone else say what you have gone through and have people respond positively to it,” Popoola said.

After the cast members had finished with this segment, they performed a piece which highlighted the difference in the way society chooses to educate boys and girls about sex, garnering some laughs from the crowd.

Cast member Tori Lewis, sophomore in theater, said all in all the night was success.

“I do think it went well," Lewis said. "No one forgot anything, which is kind of unusual."

After the performance, a presentation showing the work the Mosaic Theatre Company did in the community over the past year followed.

The company visited different sites around the state of Alabama, often times staying overnight to perform and lead communities in discussions about diversity.

Members of the company helped teach its program attendees how to express themselves using their words and their bodies, with a special focus on diversity in their communities.

In keeping with its theme, the program attendees were diverse.

The company worked with people ranging from 4-years-old to 60-years-old of different races, ethnicities and socio-economic backgrounds.

Some program attendees even came with a rap sheet, as company members took trips to a juvenile correctional facility, teaching them how to communicate the parts of their stories they felt comfortable with sharing through body movement and the spoken word.

They have visited the children three times and will go once more to watch their final performance.

On top of their extensive community service projects, the Mosaic Theatre Company has also put on a number of performances, including The Integration of Tuskegee High School, which still has two more showings.

Tessa Carr, artistic director of the group, said their spring showcase was a little different from their other performances, but that she believed it went well.

“Usually we have a lot more scene-type things," Carr said. "But because we are all so involved with the other play, we went for something different, so we really enjoyed creating these different types of pieces,” Carr said. 

Share and discuss “The Mosaic Theatre Company performs spring showcase” on social media.