Outdoor Guide: Get to know the student leaders of Auburn Outdoors

Auburn Outdoors, created in fall 2013 with the opening of the Recreation and Wellness Center, has passionate and inspiring student workers, and the best of the bunch take the extra step to become trip leaders.

AO is an on-campus organization that organizes and provides outdoors trips for students. Trips can be weeklong or just day trips.

The Plainsman met with four of the student leaders, getting to know more about the program, their skills and interests and the outdoors.

Malia Duggan, senior in general science education, has been a trip leader for two years.

Tres Gregg, senior in fisheries, has been leading trips for one year and working at AO for a year and a half.

Rachel Hinlo, senior in biomedical sciences, has been working at AO since it first opened.

She has been a trip leader for two years.

Kelly Hyder, senior in industrial engineering, worked at AO for a year and a half before beginning to lead trips last semester.

Duggan led whitewater rafting trips on both the Chatahoochee and Ocoee Rivers, as well as a sea kayaking trip in Florida.

She will lead sunset kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding on Lake Martin this semester.

Hinlo led various caving, climbing and bouldering trips in Georgia and Alabama. She also led an extended backpacking trip over fall break.

Hyder led a backpacking trip in Virginia on part of the Appalachian Trail.

Gregg has led a bouldering trip, as well as several bike trips.

Both Hinlo and Duggan have pursued extra Wilderness First Aid or EMT certifications on their own — adding to their outdoor knowledge and versatility.

Share and discuss “Outdoor Guide: Get to know the student leaders of Auburn Outdoors” on social media.