Carlson, Tigers push past No.1Florida to reach SEC title game

Hours after defeating No.4 Alabama 6-4 in the quarterfinals, Pitcher Kaylee Carlson and the Tigers edged the No.1 Florida Gators 2-1 in a Friday afternoon pitcher’s duel.

"It was a great day," Auburn coach Clint Myers said. "Not very often do you get the chance to play the fourth-ranked and the top-ranked team in the country and come out on top. It was a long day because of the weather yesterday but the kids did just a phenomenal job. They were patient. They did everything that we talked about."

Carlson threw a complete game in the circle, giving up only one run on five hits. 

"I've just been trying to trust myself more," Carlson said. "When I go out there and I try to do too much is when I struggle the most. So I've just been trying to relax, and trying to get ground balls and let my defense do its job."

The Tigers struck early, when Carlee Wallace hit a 2-run home run to left field to drive in SEC Player of the Year Kasey Cooper in the first inning.

"I was like, if I get that pitch again, I know what to do with it," Wallace said. "I was kind of thinking something outside. But when I got that pitch, I just knew what to do with it. It's all kind of a blur because I was just trying to square up a ball the best that I could. I honestly think that I missed that home run. I don't think I got all of it."

Florida (53-5) was knocking at the door in the bottom of the sixth inning with runners on second and third base, but a double play from second baseman Emily Carosone protected the lead for Auburn.

In the third inning, Florida brought in left hander Delanie Gourley, who threw five innings of shutout softball. The Gators also plated one run in the bottom of the seventh inning, but it was not enough as Carlson struck out the potential winning run.

Auburn (48-9) will defend its SEC Tournament title tomorrow at Nusz Park in Starkville, Mississippi, as they face off against the LSU Tigers at 4 p.m. CST on ESPN. 

Share and discuss “Carlson, Tigers push past No.1Florida to reach SEC title game” on social media.