Getting plugged in at Auburn

500 opportunities and growing

<p>With 16 months remaining in the campaign, leaders say the University will continue raising funds.</p>

With 16 months remaining in the campaign, leaders say the University will continue raising funds.

For some students, college is the first time away from the city or town they have lived in their entire lives. Separation from family and friends is not always the simplest task. Getting involved in Auburn and campus life is one way to feel welcomed and keep from dwelling on what you left behind. 

According to John-Michael Roehm, coordinator for student organizations, Auburn University is the perfect place for those that wish to get involved. With over 500 organizations, any student can find a place to call their own and meet those that share interests and talents. 

AUinvolve is a program offered by the University to assist students in their hunt for an organization to plug into. Students can reach this reference at https://auburn.collegiatelink.net/.

The first step to finding a group is to browse through the organizations on the AUinvolve website, Roehm said. Each organization will have a brief summation of their purpose or cause. 

"After you have a few that you are interested in, contact Involvement Ambassadors in Suite 3130 Student Center to talk one-on-one about what you are hoping to find," Roehm said. 

For those that are having difficulties with the website or finding the confidence to get in touch with specific leadership, Roehm recommends reaching out to the Involvement Ambassadors. Involvement Ambassadors are there to assist students in becoming a part of campus.

"Don’t be intimidated by the large number of organizations we have," Roehm said. "Every organization offers something unique for the student members. Take your time trying to find something and don’t rush into too many organizations."

Once you have found an organization that meets your initial expectations and desires, it's time to meet the leadership. When looking into different groups, Roehm recommends asking lots of questions. 

For example: How much are dues? How often does the group meet? What are their signature events/activities? Are there opportunities to grow as a leader?

Involvement is not supposed to replace school work, Roehm said, and everyone at Auburn aims to get a degree, organizations are simply there to enhance college years. 

Share and discuss “Getting plugged in at Auburn ” on social media.