Q & A with head pi chi

Taylor Horton, junior in rehab service and head pi chi for sorority recruitment, sat down to give a few pointers to those considering greek life for Fall 2016. 

Q: What should you bring with you through recruitment? 

A: "I would say a hairbrush and an extra pair of shoes to slip on so you aren't in heels all day. I would have bobby-pins, deodorant, and some mints to pop in before meeting all of the girls. Make sure you have a poncho or an umbrella, because it has rained every year in the past. Each pi chi will have pretty much anything you could need if you forget something." 

Q: What to do if you don't get your first picks? 

A: "Keep an open mind. I know it's hard to open your bid on bid day and not get what you preferred, but what I try to tell girls is that you got that bid or sorority for a reason. They want what's best for you at the end of the day." 

Q: How do you make the most of recruitment? 

A: "Be yourself. The sisters are just as nervous as you. The worst thing you can do is be someone that you are not. If you pretend to be what you think they want you to be, you'll end up in a sorority that is not the best for you." 

Q: How to know which sorority is the right fit for you? 

A: "Let go of all the stereotypes that you've heard, because it is easy to develop assumptions before you get to recruitment and that can change the experience. Keep an open mind and know that the system works and you'll end up in the right place if you stay true to yourself. Try your best to get to know the girls by asking questions about their experiences and their favorite socials." 

Q: What to do if you change your mind and want out of recruitment? 

A: "At least finish the day.You may have not met anyone that you clicked with the first day, but the next day you may meet someone that makes you change your mind completely. At the end if you still aren't interested than it's okay! That's the great thing about Auburn, no matter what you end up doing you will find a home here. The world does not revolve around the greek system." 

Q: How do you handle the long days? 

A: Stay positive. That's what the pi chi is there for, to keep everything upbeat and enjoyable. Keep in mind that in the end it will all be worth it when you open that bid and instantly have 200-something new sisters. It's kinda like studying for a test, it sucks in the beginning, but it's great when you get that good grade." 

Q: What are the most important things to remember about recruitment? 

A: "Be yourself. Don't let stereotypes get you down. Have fun with it." 

Q: What might blindside you? 

A: "You will get cut. Your favorite sorority might cut you. Getting cut has to happen, because it's the only way you end up somewhere. It will probably rain, so plan accordingly." 

Q: How do you get the most out of recruitment? 

A: "Get to know each girl that you talk to. Bring a notebook and jot down the name of the girl you were talking to and something from the conversation you had. When you go back you will have a connection made and that comes in handy throughout the school year as well." 

Q: How do you prepare for the clothing requirements?

A: "Don't go out and spend tons of money on expensive brands. No one really cares what you wear as long as you follow through with what is planned for the day. If you are supposed to wear a dress, wear a dress. If you are supposed to wear white, wear white. Some girls think they need all Lilly Pulitzer or Free People, but that is not the case. On the panhellenic website, we have examples of outfits to help you out." 

Q: Why should you give greek life a chance?

A: "It is so much more than letters and parties. There are so many girls that are involved with everything imaginable on campus and they can help you get plugged in and get connected. We've had girls experience loss and the sororities are a family to fall back on, especially for people from far away." 

Share and discuss “Q & A with head pi chi” on social media.