How international students contribute to Auburn

Auburn University is home to nearly 30,000 students, 1,500 of which are from over 80 different countries according to the Office of International Programs. 

The school provides many opportunities to international students and encourages diversity amongst the student body.

Coming from overseas is a challenge for anyone due to the cultural differences and the lack of transportation around the city, but joining the Auburn Family was worth it for student Shamim Naigaga.

Naigaga is originally from Uganda and is currently pursuing his Ph.D. in fisheries and aquaculture.

“Attending Auburn University has been a blessing to me,” Naigaga said. “I am grateful for the hands-on we get in the school of fisheries and aquaculture. My awesome teachers are always there for me to guide me in this career. This is not there back home.”

In the 2014–2015 year, international students contributed $38.9 million to the Alabama economy and supported 549 jobs according to the Office of International Programs.

According to the university's website, Auburn University’s tuition for international undergraduates is $39,445 and for students in graduate school the tuition is $39,427.

With the many clubs, organizations and the education that Auburn University offers for its students, the tuition seems worth it for many of the international students, especially student Yatish Kaveti. 

Kaveti, a student from India currently studying for his masters in electrical engineering, initially thought the culture change was a challenging experience, but with the help of the other students and the school involvement it became a simple and happy transition.

“Auburn has opened doors for me in all aspects of life,” Kaveti said. “For me, it is an outstanding place. It’s like a pearl of paradise, which unveils its treasures if you look through it. The greatest aspect of Auburn is the students and the Auburn community.”

Although the lack of consistent transportation was a drawback for Kaveti. He believes there is no road block for an international student to try whatever they want to try at Auburn University.

“The warmth I have received from Auburn families is fantastic,” Kaveti said. “I surely would have missed that experience if I was in a large city setting.”

Both Kaveti and Naigaga have taken full advantage of what Auburn University has to offer them, including the International Student Organization, of which Naigaga is president. Involvement at Auburn has shown and taught them how to live amicably with different cultures.

“One best thing: I like Auburn, as well as the Auburn Creed, and how everyone believes in it and works by it,” Naigaga said. “Auburn has not failed me, and I pray it does not because I love it and believe in it.”

Share and discuss “How international students contribute to Auburn” on social media.