No.12 Auburn falls in season opener to No. 14 Clemson

Coming off one of the most successful seasons in program history, No. 12 Auburn looked to start fast in the 2016 season against another ranked opponent. No. 14 Clemson, however, struck early and never looked back as they went on to defeat Auburn 2-0 on Friday at the Auburn University Soccer Complex.

After controlling a large portion of the first few minutes, Auburn’s defense made a critical mistake and allowed freshman Julie Mackin enough open space to score from inside the six yard box in the 9th minute to give Clemson an early 1-0 lead.

In the 23rd minute, play was suspended due to lightning in the area for the second time and the match was delayed for about 30 minutes.

Auburn came out of the break firing on all cylinders, as they controlled the last 20 minutes of the first half, but could not find the back of the net.

“I thought we really took it to them coming out of the delay and were unlucky to not get a goal there,” Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa said.

Casie Ramsier, who became the second player in Auburn history to be named to the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List, fired a missile just past the post minutes out of the delay and later missed tying the game right before the half.

In the 52nd minute, Clemson senior Catrina Atanda scored on a left footed laser past Auburn goalkeeper Sarah Le Beau to give Clemson a 2-0 lead they would never relinquish.

“Clemson is a good quality team and they punished our mistakes,” Hoppa said. “We had plenty of chances, and the difference ended up being they finished and we didn’t.”

Auburn’s Brooke Ramsier gave the Tigers their best threat down the stretch, but, her long range shot was deflected off the post.

The loss tonight was Auburn’s first season opening loss since 2011 when the Tigers fell to Wake Forest. Hoppa believed the pressure of last year’s success may have played a role in her team’s slow start.

“It’s a new type of pressure for this team," said Hoppa. "Coming off so much success with so many returning players, I believe we were a little tight."

Auburn will continue play Sunday at South Alabama against the Jaguars, who pose a major threat to the Tigers.

Hoppa knows it will not be an easy match for her team.

"We have to respond, we don’t have a choice. The tough thing is that South Alabama is a strong, top-25 team. They’re going to be dangerous and it will be a huge challenge on Sunday," Hopa said. "We have to be able to put this one behind us and perform better than we did tonight.”

Share and discuss “No.12 Auburn falls in season opener to No. 14 Clemson” on social media.