Local musician spotlight: BB Palmer

B.B. Palmer, a local country musician, is originally from Theodore, Alabama.

Though Palmer has only been involved in the Opelika/Auburn scene for around three and a half years, he has already made a name for himself in the country music scene both local and statewide. 

Backed by Josh Mckenzie on lead guitar, Tyler Wallace on drums, and Dylan Norgard on bass, the self proclaimed “Lee’s County Finest,” have already toured across the country. 

They have played at festivals such as Austin's South by Southwest, and opened for St. Paul and the Broken Bones.

Palmer recently performed at the Concourse South Festival in Opelika. 

A: “Our original lineup included a fiddle player and lap steel. We had me, Tyler, and another bass player. Fast forward to now, we are a four-piece honky tonk, progressive honkey tonk if you will, trying to stay within the rigid limits of old time country while still pushing the genre forward, which is damn tough to do." 

"It’s not like you can fuck around with honkey tonk, it’s got a very strict and rigid set of rules, but we all love it. Especially me and Josh, my guitar player, we just love that stuff. Buck Owens, Faren Young, Merle Haggard, the Bakersfield sound, Hank Williams, all those classic country sounds. Those guys are my bread and butter.”

Q: Do you feel that there is a certain type of country coming out of Nashville currently, sometimes described as “Bro Country,” that you just don't want to be associated with?

A: “I get asked this question all the time. Here’s how I see it: In music there is something for everybody, and you know stuff on the radio, I’m not really into it, but there are people that are into it, you know? I’m not going to hate on them for liking it because that’s what they like."

"At the same time, I feel like there is definitely a little rumble from the underground right now, you know with folks like Chris Stapleton shaking up the scene. You’re going to see a lot more folk that are up and coming. Margo Price is a chick that kicks ass. She’s awesome. I feel like that’s going to get shaken up here in the next five years or ten years. I think that style will come to an end and country music will naturally evolve to where it is embracing its roots.”

Q: Would you say that this area is conductive to that particular sound?

A: “Absolutely, man. Absolutely. Where we are, without trying to be overconfident or cocky in saying this, where you live reflects greatly on the style of music and what you play, what you sound sounds like. Me and the fellas, we joke around, we call it that ‘lee county sound,’ it’s similar to that Bakersfield sound, but it’s more heavy. When we go up there we aren’t laying in the pocket so much, as we’re just hard hitting honkey tonk. In short, where you’re living should always reflect what you sound like.”

Q: As far as songwriting, do think this scene is supportive of songwriting, how do you feel about the necessity of songwriting in the area?

A: Yeah, Richard [Patton] with Cottonseed Studios, Rob Slocumb, who recently did a video for us over at his house; These are the guys that are cultivating the local music scene.  I think we have great support in Opelika, it’s a great growing music scene."

Q: What's happening to the scene in Auburn?

A: “I’ve lived in Auburn for 11 years. I moved here back in 2005, and when I moved it was a little better then it was now, but it’s bleak, it’s just bleak."

"It’s hard to have an original scene in a college town I feel like. You know especially in Auburn where these kids don’t want to listen to original music. They want 80s music and Wagon Wheels, which is fine, music is objective, let them listen to what they want to. But, Auburn is just bleak. Opelika is another story."

"When we say we’re from Lee county, we don’t say we’re from Auburn. Don’t get me wrong, Auburn is a great college town, but it’s not conducive to original music. Every town needs a music scene, every town needs art and creativity, every town needs music.”

Q: What would you say is your favorite venue you have played at?

A: "I’ll start with one that’s in the area, 8th and Rail. As far as the bar scene, 8th and Rail is great and of course anything that Richard [Patton] does here at the Railyard, anything at the Brewery, if we’re playing there, we’re playing at one of these places because they support our music."

"As far as outside the area goes, we actually did a tour to support the EP we did in January. We did a tour in March and went through Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana. We played at South by Southwest in Austin. We played at the legendary Blue Light in Lubbock."

Q: What are some of your main influences as far as songwriters?

A: “Songwriting is different from some of my heroes like Merle and Buck Owens, but obviously I’m a huge fan of Hank Williams Sr.. You know the ‘hillbilly poet’ and his type of writing. Being from Alabama, I feel like I’m on hallowed ground with Hank right up the road in Montgomery."

"I feel it running through me somehow. It’s weird. I can feel his presence even though he’s been dead for 50 years. When we opened for St. Paul at the [Montgomery Performing Arts Center] we went to Hank’s grave it was the same stuff. It was great, we got our minds right for the show. As far as songwriters, Hank really tops it.”

Q: As far as this scene, what is your biggest hope for the future of this music scene?

A: “I only hope it evolves to the same level where every great revolution of music starts. Austin in the seventies with Willie and Waylon; The revolution that became outlaw country. The Bakersfield revolution, hell ... even as recent as Nirvana kicking hair rock out. Every great revolution starts somewhere. I know I may be dreaming big and saying it might happen in Opelika, but I would like to see this scene evolve to the type of revolution that mirrors every great music revolution. And you know it has a chance.”

Follow BB Palmer on Facebook to get more information about upcoming shows in the area.

Share and discuss “Local musician spotlight: BB Palmer” on social media.