Lowder opens its doors for the fall semester

Lowder Hall and its Starbucks have been fully accessible since Monday, Aug. 15.

Bill Hardgrave, dean of the Harbert College of Business, said the building is ready for students and staff for the fall semester.

“All classrooms in Lowder Hall are ready for the fall semester,” Hardgrave said. “All areas of the building have been replaced, repaired or cleaned.”

Hardgrave also said that the building has passed inspections following the fire this summer.

“Also, all classrooms have passed stringent air quality tests conducted by an independent company,” Hardgrave said.

The business building experienced an electrical fire on the morning of June 27, and by late afternoon the fire was contained.

The fire originated on the first floor and appears to have occurred from a light and ballast, a device designed to limit currents in an electrical circuit.

The Auburn Fire Department contained it in that area; however, the rest of the building was damaged by smoke and soot.

Russell Fountain, of Belfor Restoration, said Lowder had around 250 people working on restoration on a daily basis at the height of their schedule.

The crew was working 24 hours a day, with two 12 hour shifts, according to Fountain.

The business building has two large auditoriums, one with 300 seats and another with 500 seats.

Fountain said construction crews had to scaffold those two classrooms completely so the ceiling systems could be replaced.

According to the Office of Communications and Marketing, there are still a few items that remain to be completed such as painting in hallways and some carpet installation.

Hardgrave said Lowder is now in good condition.

“This building has been cleaned from top to bottom,” Hardgrave said. “Every classroom has been tested; air quality test came back and everything looks great.”

Hardgrave said he is impressed with everyone’s response to the fire.

“It was incredible how everyone came together,” Hardgrave said.

The univeristy was dedicted to restoring Lowder and creating a safe environment for students, Hardgrave said.

“The safety and comfort of our students is of upmost importance and we have been very thorough in our efforts to achieve both,” Hardgrave said. 

Share and discuss “Lowder opens its doors for the fall semester” on social media.