Tigers 'relentless' as they look to take next step

With fall right around the corner the Auburn Volleyball team is gearing up for another long season, hopefully longer than last years. After not making the postseason in 2015 the Tigers have a new mentality for 2016. The theme this offseason has been “relentless.”

“We actually have a motto [this season], ‘relentless’,” senior Breanna Barksdale said. “We are having a relentless mindset proving people wrong, coming into the gym everyday recommitting ourselves to being better and taking a step up from last year.”

The Tigers finished last season 18-12 overall and 10-8 in the SEC but there were no moral victories for the Tigers.

“We’re definitely moving forward because I know we weren’t happy with the way we finished last year,” outside hitter Courtney Crable said. “That has been fuel to the fire to motivate us to come out strong this season.”

Crable, sophomore Breanna McIlroy and Barksdale look to build on successful 2015 campaigns. Crable tied with McIlroy as team leader in kills with 333 and was the sole leader in kills per set at 2.82. Barksdale was a force in front of the net leading the team in blocks with 94 and McIlroy was selected to the SEC All-Freshman team after starting 30 matches. She played in all 121 sets on top of tying for team leader in kills.

“We’ve been coming to all of our practices as focused as possible,” McIlroy said. “Coming in early so that way when practice starts we are ready to go.”

Expectations run high around the program after a taste test of success last season showed the team what they are capable of. The Tigers upset the No.11 Florida Gators last season, breaking a 41 match streak of loses that dates back to 1990.

“Hopefully we learned a lot last season about where we can be,” head coach Rick Nold said. “We felt like we could have been a lot better but we had a number of matches that got away from us and we have to make some improvements so that doesn’t happen again. I think we grew a lot as a team but now it is time to take a step and compete not just getting into the NCAA tournament but being able to play as long as possible.”

Auburn opens the season on Friday, Aug. 26 at 7 p.m. CST against the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech at Auburn Arena.

Share and discuss “Tigers 'relentless' as they look to take next step” on social media.