Beauty and style with JasmineRenee'

With over a thousand subscribers on YouTube and nearly 50 videos under her belt, Jasmine Reed, senior in public relations follows her passion of showcasing beauty in her videos. 

Her YouTube channel JasmineRenee’ covers features makeup tutorials, vlogs, goodie box openings, makeup/fashion hauls, seasonal looks and challenges. A woman serious about her brand, Reed has garnered a following of over 2,000 followers on her complimentary Instagram page jasmine_renee_.

Active on campus, Reed is a member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and an executive board member of Untamed Natural hair and Lifestyle group.

"I try to direct people to Untamed," Reed said. "Especially for minority women, we need something to unite us [on campus] other than the greek world and I feel right now with Natural hair being a big movement, that is something that connects a lot of us. With Untamed going beyond just natural hair and going into other stuff like lifestyle, it benefits me by helping other people."

Reed found her passion through her daily fashion and routine.

“I like looking nice, it is what I aim for,” Reed said. “I like dressing up and looking cute.”

Reed’s channel focuses primarily on makeup, however she explores other subjects as well. Her YouTube channel started off with simple hair tutorials after frequent questioning of how she styled her hair.

“It was something that was interesting to me, and I was getting good at it," Reed said. "Being at Auburn I don’t know people who do natural hair [well]. I pretty much watched tutorials myself and taught myself to do a lot of things."

She drew her inspiration from other YouTube personalities such as Alyssa Forever, Makeupshayla and Jackie Aina. Reed considers them her go-to for beauty.

Reed considers her style “minimalistic chic.”

“I don’t really do a whole lot," Reed said. "If [the outfit] comes together and looks cute, that's pretty much what I go for."

She also stated she is not big on name brands.

When it comes to her hair, Reed’s go-to style is "twist-outs" and wash-and-gos. A twist out, like its name, is a style that requires the plaiting of hair (two strand twists) and time over night with product to achieve a desired "S-Curl."

African-American women achieve the curl through the LOC method, leave in conditioner, oil and curling cream. This method results in the hair having curls and body.

The wash-and-go method is another hairstyle that only requires washing the hair with a co-wash, a special conditioner that cleanses, moisturizes and adds curl definition depending on the brand and allowing the hair to dry. This hairstyle showcases the natural curl of the woman without placing stress on individual strands by simply allowing the hair to dry into a curly pattern.

Reed advises for those interested in getting into makeup and fashion to be yourself and experiment, try out new things.

“Just try and see how it works, if it doesn’t go for you, don’t go that route," Reed said. "Have fun and experiment."

For the future, Reed wants to use her public relations major to pursue a career doing the things she loves: talking about beauty and makeup. She sees herself working with brands like Shea Moisture and curlBOX.

“I’m looking for internships in the beauty realm right now, just to get me headed in that direction," Reed said. "I am taking the necessary steps that I can on my part and let God do the rest."

Share and discuss “Beauty and style with JasmineRenee'” on social media.