The T-Rex returns to Earth

They do move in herds, go-kart, workout, play paintball and make people laugh. 

The inflatable T-Rex costume, officially known as the Inflatable Adult T-Rex, Costume was brought into existence in April 2015 by Rubie's Costumes for a line of Jurassic World licensed costumes. 

The birth of the costume's online presence came five months later in September when a GIF of a T-Rex running on top of of an inflatable Jump Pad circulated on the one's and zero's. 

Two months later, the mainstream media picked it up and cemented its stardom when Head Line News posted a compilation dinosaur videos on it's site. One year later, the T-Rex has spread across social media in what has surely been the biggest animal-costume craze since the horse head mask fever in the early 2010's. 

Whether Rubie's Costumes intended for the comedic appeal or not, the Inflatable Adult T-Rex Costume's humor is addicting to many. 

Firstly, it's inflatable. 

It's the same case as the inflated sumo wrestlers and ostrich riders from prime Halloweens past. Inflatable costumes have grown up with college students; roughly ten years later, we now have our most meme-able inflation yet.

Secondly, is the anonymity the costume provides. 

Much like the the horse-head mask and trailblazing Morphsuit, the inflatable T-Rex protects the identity of the wearer leading to the sort of courage needed for such public antics. Who's to say that it can suspend one's disbelief, even if for a moment. For a second, one may forget that the sweaty human underneath, and believe dinosaurs have returned to roam the Earth. 

Finally, the shadow of irony that follows the costume everywhere once it has been donned.

The greatest predator to ever walk our Earth is immediately transformed into the least threatening reptile ever completing whatever mundane task one does daily.

Expect at least a few Inflatable Adult T-Rex costumes to be prowling around College Street and Magnolia Avenue later this month alongside the Harambes and Ken Bones. 

However, those reliving their dinosaur obsessions from a decade and a half ago must be truly dedicated. Drinks become challenges, body heat become borderline dangerous, navigating crowded rooms become Ninja Warrior stage-like (although that one T-Rex got pretty far) and flirting takes an asteroid-sized hit. 

Share and discuss “The T-Rex returns to Earth” on social media.