A game day at Ole Miss

Last Saturday, The Grove at Ole Miss definitely lived up to its reputation. This 10-acre lot normally lined with trees, was instead transformed into a social gathering filled with 2,500 tents. This is a weekend affair. 

While Auburn fans have consistently tailgated throughout the many game days, Ole Miss fans have taken game day to another level, many believe.

The weekend begins on Friday night when fans “rush The Grove” to claim their spot for the following day. Sirens blare at 8 p.m. and people run to their preferred spot in The Grove. Some people even make money off of this job, charging ten dollars per hour to save a spot for tents.

Students and fans say they have perfected tailgating by assigning specific tasks to each person a part of the tent.

“I’m a member of two tents, and there’s a lot of effort put into them by the parents,” said Gabby Turnbough, a freshman at Ole Miss. “One parent is on food, one’s on drinks, and the others are in charge of making sure the tent looks cute.”

While this type of tailgating is also common at Auburn, the decorations at each tent is unlike other schools. Tents are filled with chandeliers and food is served on silver platters. Live bands are hired to entertain fans.

“A ton of effort is put in each week, and yet Ole Miss fans still invite everyone and anyone into their tent for a good time, no matter what team you’re pulling for,” Turnbough said.

Just like Toomer’s Oaks, The Grove is cleaned by Sunday morning and is ready to go for the next weekend.

There is something to be said about the difference between Auburn and Ole Miss fans.

“I think Auburn fans are more interested in the outcome of the game,”  said Corrine Darwin, a sophomore in journalism. "Ole Miss fans don’t seem as invested in winning."

Turnbough agrees that winning isn’t everything at her school.

“No matter if Ole Miss wins or loses everyone still has a great attitude and has a lot of fun," Turnbough said. "It’s more about the community here than winning or losing."

Though The Grove was a sight to see, Darwin believes Auburn on game day is still the best place to be.

“The Grove was a fun place to see, but I still think a game day at Auburn is unlike any other,” Darwin said.

The Ole Miss student section is also something Auburn fans were not used to.

“Ole Miss fans seem a little less involved in the game," said a freshman studying pre-interior design. “At Auburn games we stand up the whole time and say lots of cheers, but Ole Miss fans don’t.”

Share and discuss “A game day at Ole Miss ” on social media.