Report card: Auburn vs Georgia State

For the first time since 2011, the Auburn basketball team started the season 2-0 when the Tigers defeated another mid-major opponent, Georgia State, Monday night at Auburn Arena.

Here are the grades for Auburn's second game of the season:

Big Men: B-

The men in the middle played a vital role in the Auburn victory. Auburn won the rebound battle 39-35 against a much bigger squad (pound for pound) on Monday.

Horace Spencer had three offensive rebounds and was able to earn some second chance points. LaRon Smith played well against his former team, making a big mark defensively in only 17 minutes of playing time off the bench. Smith was able to record three blocks and made the Panthers ball handler’s shy away from the paint.

Danjel Purifoy was able to get to the free throw line in the second half and made 8 out of 10 shots. Purifoy finished the game with 19 points and 4 rebounds and looked like the best interior scoring player on the squad.

Guards/Wings: B+

Jared Harper got the start at point guard and earned the 'W' for the Tigers. Mustapha Heron also started as an off-ball guard, but was not able to get moving against the Panthers defense. Heron had several open three-pointers that appeared rushed, as he went 0-3. He kept attacking the basket and was able to get to the line throughout the game, finishing 8-10 from it. Heron’s athleticism came in handy, as he was able to glide into the paint after shot attempts to grab 8 rebounds, leading Auburn in the category for the night.

Bryce Brown started at guard and was an inefficient 2-7 from the field, shooting 1-6 from the three-point line. Brown finished with only 6 points.

Ronnie Johnson came off the bench and put up 5 assists in only 13 minutes. T.J. Lang and Tj Dunans played 21 and 24 minutes off the bench, respectively.

The upperclassmen grabbed several boards and played a big role defensively on the perimeter for Auburn. Harper ran the offense the majority of the game.

Player of the Game: Jared Harper: A-

Harper was worth the price of admission, head coach Bruce Pearl noted postgame.

The freshman finished with an impressive stat line of 19 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 assists. He looked smooth as the quarterback of the offense, cruising past defenders and pulling up immediately for an open shot. His knowledge of the offense was evident and it should only improve as the season wears on.

Harper finished the game shooting 50 percent and was also able to get to the free throw line and convert 5 of 8 attempts. If he continues to have his silky ability to get by defenders, he'll see nothing but points added to his line. Harper’s ability to create for himself and others should make the Tigers an enticing team this year.

Share and discuss “Report card: Auburn vs Georgia State” on social media.