After missing last season, Keegan Thompson ready to return for Auburn

Keegan Thompson experienced a brand new perspective of pitching last season, one that he would not like to repeat.

Following two stellar seasons to begin his Auburn career, the Tigers ace missed his entire junior season because of Tommy John surgery. While sidelined, Thompson became a de facto assistant coach.

“I kind of helped out in the bullpen, kind of coached a little bit,” Thompson said. “It was a little different perspective.”

The Cullman, Alabama native said it was one of the hardest seasons of his career. 

“Last year was tough, it was the first time I haven't played since I was probably 6 years old playing t-ball,” Thompson said. “Our pitching staff kind of struggled last year so it made it even tougher not being able to help out and contribute.”

Auburn’s pitching staff did struggle without its ace, finishing 12th in the SEC in ERA. The Tigers also finished 13th in the league in strikeouts. Those are two categories that Thompson should help mightily in 2017.

In his two seasons on the Plains, Thompson is 12-6 with a 2.49 ERA in 26 games for the Tigers. He has struck out 135 batters compared to just 39 walks allowed. He has allowed just five homeruns in 159.1 innings. Opposing hitters have hit just .211 against him.

Auburn head coach Butch Thompson admitted it was hard without his ace in his first season at Auburn.

“It’s hard for all fourteen teams in this league, the best league in the country, to go without an ace,” Auburn’s second-year head coach said.

Last summer, Keegan was selected in the 33rd round of the 2016 MLB Draft by the Detroit Tigers. Instead of turning his dream of playing professional baseball into a reality, he decided to return to Auburn for at least one more season.

“I’ve always wanted to play professional baseball, but I figured I had something else to prove here,” Keegan said.

After a year of rehab on his entire right arm, Keegan Thompson will once again toe the rubber inside Plainsman Park.

“We’re all excited,” Keegan said. “I had a good fall, everybody worked hard in the fall, so we’re all just excited to get back out there and playing.”

After two years of watching Keegan as an opponent, Butch is excited to have the star right-hander on his side.

“I go back just a few years ago as an opponent (at Mississippi State), watching Keegan pitch, he has great mound presence, he’s a great competitor and he just has a great feel for the game,” Butch said. “I felt like when Keegan was on the mound that Auburn felt like they had a chance to win. I want that same feeling restored to our dugout and to our fans.”

“I think Keegan does that for us. We have a chance to win today because Keegan is going. That is one of the best compliments you can give a starting pitcher.”

Auburn will look to rebound from a 23-33 2016 season as Butch Thompson looks to rebuild the Auburn program. With Keegan healthy this season, Butch believes that he has two aces to slot into his weekend rotation. 

“Casey Mize, I think, is an ace too,” Butch said. “I want to be so optimistic this time of the year before you ever play a game. I feel like we have two aces going into the season.”

Auburn’s pitching and defense should be much better, especially with the return of Keegan. Auburn’s offense will have to replace four MLB Draft selections, Anfernee Grier, Joshua Palacios, Nike Buentello and Jordan Ebert. However, Keegan and his teammates have big dreams for the 2017 campaign.

“We want to go to a NCAA regional, but everybody wants to go to Omaha,” Keegan said. “If you don’t want to go to Omaha, you shouldn’t be playing." 

Keegan took the ball on Opening Day for Auburn and pitched six scoreless innings in his return. He scattered four hits and earned the win in his second Opening Day start. The Tigers took three of four from George Washington to begin the season.

Share and discuss “After missing last season, Keegan Thompson ready to return for Auburn” on social media.