New oaks planted at Toomer's Corner

Quick timelapse of early construction of Toomer's Oaks.

Both of the Toomer’s Corner oaks have been replanted after the West Magnolia oak was set alight in September. 

The replanting was carried out on Saturday, Feb. 18. 

Scott Hill, 1989 Auburn graduate, said his favorite memory of Toomer’s as a student was when Bo Jackson won the Heisman.

“When we were in school, I remember running down here when Bo won the Heisman in ’85 and rolling the corner then," Hill said. "I lived in a dorm that’s no longer here. We ran down, everybody in the hall got down and ran. It’s just a great community event. A lot of school spirit.”

When the tree was burned, Hill said he found it “disappointing."

"That’s not who we are," Hill said. "It’s a great place to come and just share in the Auburn community and that’s not one of destruction or malicious intent.” 

Jennifer Holmes, 2014 Auburn graduate, said she loves the sight of the trees when they've been rolled after a win.

“My freshman year was the national championship and the SEC championship, so I remember my friends and I came here and the street was lined," Holmes said. "It looked like it snowed from all the toilet paper. It was the best time.”

When Holmes heard about the tree being burned, she said it was upsetting.

"I was a junior or senior when we found out it was poisoned, and this one was just devastating," Holmes said. "I couldn’t stand that somebody would do that. I thought people were mature enough and we’re not the only ones who love this tradition.” 

Teresa Dupree, a life-long Auburn fan, said the Toomer's tradition represents being a part of the Auburn Family.

"I’ve just always felt that Auburn’s just one big family," Dupree said. "I was here whenever they celebrated the final rolling and I was here for the planting of the other trees and I wanted to be here again to see these trees being planted.”

Dupree said she was upset when she heard someone had set fire to the Magnolia Ave tree in the fall.

"I thought 'oh my goodness, maybe it can be saved,'" Dupree said. "It was even more traumatic to know that both of them were coming down.”

Share and discuss “New oaks planted at Toomer's Corner” on social media.